- Food tour
- City sightseeing
- Sightseeing tour
- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Try Toronto’s signature food: the peameal bacon sandwich
- Bite into a "Montreal style” bagel, the only type of bagel to go into space
- Learn the history of the famous St. Lawrence Market and early Toronto
- Try the “world’s best apple cake” (it might very well be!)
Join a food-loving local guide, head to one of the city’s most beloved food markets and learn all about some of Canada’s best culinary creations – from poutine to the iconic peameal bacon sandwich. In between bites, your guide will share insights into everything you’re tasting, giving you an inside look at how and what Canadians love to eat!
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
After a brief introduction to Old Town Toronto (the neighbourhood where this tour takes place), your guide will walk you past Berczy Park which features a stunning new fountain, on the way to one of their favourite coffee shops for a brew of your choice (coffee or tea), and then to a little sandwich shop nearby which is reputed to have the very best apple cake in the world. You can decide for yourself after a taste of it! It’s a truly local spot we love introducing our guests to.
From there, you’ll make your way to St. Lawrence Market - National Geographic once declared it the “Best Food Market in the World” - where you will learn about the origin of Toronto’s official signature food: the peameal bacon sandwich, which is a must-try food in the market. Celebrity chefs from Emeril to Anthony Bourdain have bitten into one of these, and now it’s your turn.
Time will be spent inside St. Lawrence Market visiting vendors on the two retail levels and sampling foods that have played an important role in the cultures of immigrants who settled here over the past two centuries, as well as foods which have become so common in this region it’s often a shock for locals to learn some of their favourites are virtually unknown outside of Ontario!
Each stop is a chance for your guide to tell you a little piece of Canadian history and about how the food fits into the cultural landscape of Canada and within their own lives. Each stop also offers the opportunity to interact with vendors, ask questions, and learn even more from the experts!
Foods of your tour can include butter tarts, mustard and pretzel sticks, ginger ale, Montreal-style bagels, cheese curds, pierogis, maple candy, and more!
The final stop on the tour will be a local pub which has been around for decades. This spot not only serves the popular French-Canadian dish known as poutine; they do a variation on it which shows the creativity that comes with being unbeholden to any specific culinary tradition!
By the end of this tour, you will not only have a better understanding of what Canadian food is, but also a little bit about about what it means to be Canadian!
- Piece of peameal bacon sandwich
- Local English-speaking guide
- Locally roasted coffee
- Famous Canadian soft drink
- 1 butter tart
- Piece of Montreal-style bagel
- Apple cake
- Maple candy.
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: Canadian Food Discovery at the St Lawrence Market tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date -full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 September 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: Canadian Food Discovery at the St Lawrence Market tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: Canadian Food Discovery at the St Lawrence Market tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Meet your guide on the sidewalk outside the Hockey Hall of Fame Building on the NW corner of Front St. and Yonge St.Meeting end point :
The St. Lawrence Market or a restaurant nearby.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.