- Walking tour
- Active and outdoor
- duration 12 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 14+ yrs
- max group size 17
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Tokyo Wander urban trails for an alternative view of the city
- Nakasendo Way Countryside hike between historic post towns
- Kumano Kodo Hike along an ancient pilgrimage route between Buddhist shrines
- Kyoto Explore the temples and tea houses of Japan's historic capital on foot
Encounter Japan's fascinating blend of ancient and modern influence on a walking holiday that uncovers the country's history and explores its beautiful landscapes. Urban hikes reveal a different side of Tokyo unseen by most visitors. The trip culminates with four days walking along the Kumano Kodo, an ancient pilgrimage trail connecting Shinto shrines on the mountainous Kii Peninsula. Nakasendo Way - Hike between historic post towns on a highway once travelled by samurai and itinerant merchants Kyoto - Explore the temples and tea houses of Japan's historic capital on foot Traditional accommodation - Sleep on a futon and enjoy a hot spring bath at a traditional Ryokan inn
Day 1 : Join trip in Tokyo; first night welcome meal
Day 2 : Walking tour of Tokyo including less-visited neighbourhoods
Day 3 : Express train to Matsumoto; visit the impressive castle
Day 4 : Hike on Nakasendo Way from Magome to Nagiso; bullet train to Kyoto
Day 5 : Walking in Kyoto including Philosophers Way and temple visits
Day 6 : Train to Nara; walking tour around the city's parks and temples
Day 7 : Train to Kii Peninsula; hike through ancient forest on Kumano Kodo trail
Day 8 : Kumano Kodo walk with sweeping countryside views
Day 9 : Walk to Kawayu Onsen visting Hongu shrine en route
Day 10 : Kumano River boat trip to Hatayama shrine; train to Kii-Katsuura
Day 11 : Hike to Nachi shrine; train to Osaka
Day 12 : Trip ends in Osaka
- Asakusa Via Inn (2 nights)
- Alpico Plaza Hotel (1 night)
- Hotel Elcient Kyoto (3 nights)
- Kiri no Sato Takahara Lodge (1 night)
- Kawayu Midoriya (2 nights)
- Hotel Charmant (1 night)
- Rihga Place Higobashi (1 night)
- 11 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 5 Dinners
- Public Bus
- Explore Tour Leader / Trek Guide
- Any international flights to Tokyo and from Osaka are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Walk Japan - Kumano Kodo Trail tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 283 today.
- Earn US$ 188+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Walk Japan - Kumano Kodo Trail tour. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 59 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 December 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 December 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 59 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Walk Japan - Kumano Kodo Trail tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Walk Japan - Kumano Kodo Trail tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- The average size of this tour is just 12 people.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Various COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this trip to ensure the safety of each traveller.
- This tour has implemented COVID-19 protocols that are guided by the WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council), UNWTO (World Tourism Organisation), the European Commission and local government regulations. It amongst others take into account personal protection, extensive disinfecting and social distancing measures.