- duration 2.5 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Cross the most famous fish market in the world off your bucket list with a local on hand to guide you
- Sample a couple of fresh, tasty snacks in Tsukiji’s pulsing outer markets
- Discover the best craft and souvenir shops and meet the vendors behind the counter
- Enjoy a Japanese sake tasting and learn why sake is still the classic goto drink for locals
Stroll through Tokyo’s kitchen and delight in the tastes, smells and sights of the world’s most famous fish market. Discover new flavour sensations and find out more about the people that work here. Round off the morning with an introduction to sake and a spirited tasting to whet your appetite.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Spend your morning with us exploring the famous Tsukiji Fish Market
We will start by wandering through Tsukiji’s outer market, which is brimming with vibrant food stalls and retail shops. This is the place to be if you’re looking for the freshest and dare we say, most delicious sushi breakfast one could ever hope for!
The wholesale portion of the market where the famous tuna auction takes place has moved from the original Tsukiji site, a few kilometers across the water to Toyosu but Tsukiji still is the best place to check and try all the products sold in Toyosu.
With over 2,500 tons and 450 types of fish coming through the wholesale market every day, you’re bound to come across some foods and fish you’ve never seen before. Squid jerky, anyone? Or perhaps scrambled eggs on a stick? No matter what kind of unusual snacks you may encounter, Tsukiji promises to be an experience for all five senses.
Along the way, your tour guide will explain about the history of the market, all the different seafoods on offer, the legendary tuna auction (not included in the tour) and what a typical day is like for all the vendors who work inside the inner markets. We’ll stop to sample a couple of fresh foods, and you’re free to try any additional snacks at your own expense that may catch your eye or make you drool. Of course, it can be difficult to know where to start so your guide can point out some recommendations as well.
Once we’re finished snacking, we’ll make our way to a nearby sake shop for a tasting and introduce you to Japan’s beloved beverage of choice. Learn how to taste the difference between different sakes and about the role it has played in Japanese culture. Be sure to tell us your favourite!
Before you go off on your own, don’t forget to ask your local guide for additional tips on where else to visit during your stay in Tokyo.
A visit to the new wholesale market is not included on this tour, but if you are interested in visiting, you guide will give you directions on how to get there.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Tour of outer market
- 2 popular snacks
- Sake tasting.
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- tips/gratuities for your guide. Note this tour does not include the inner market
- as guided groups are not permitted. However
- your tour leader will give you tips for exploring on your own after the tour has finished.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: A Tour Through Tokyo’s Kitchen (with World's Most Famous Fish Market) tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 05 December 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 05 December 2020, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: A Tour Through Tokyo’s Kitchen (with World's Most Famous Fish Market) tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: A Tour Through Tokyo’s Kitchen (with World's Most Famous Fish Market) tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Higashi-ginza Station, Exit 3, Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line and Toei Asakusa Line, at top of escalator on street level, in front of the little shrine at the Kabukiza Theatre.Meeting end point :
Tsukiji Fish Market, accessible on Tsukiji Station, Hibiya Tokyo Metro LineLonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.