- Bicycle tour
- duration 14 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Cycle rural roads through peaceful Japanese countrysideDiscover temples, zen gardens and geisha districts in KyotoRide along the picturesque shores of the Noto PeninsulaStay in authentic guesthouses and bathe in hot springsVisit the UNESCO historic village of Shirakawago
There is no better way of experiencing the ever-changing landscapes of Japan than on two wheels, as we pedal from the rugged seascapes and wild beaches of the Noto Peninsula to picturesque farmlands and remote mountainous regions of Takayama and UNESCO Shirakawa-go, where we are able to get a close feel for the timeless rhythms and customs of the Japanese countryside. From temples, shrines and market visits, to hot springs and overnights in ryokans – traditional Japanese guesthouses – this trip offers excellent rural cycling without compromising on the cultural elements. No trip to Japan would be complete without a visit to Kyoto, Japan's age-old capital, with its peaceful Zen gardens and geisha districts and futuristic Tokyo: sprawling, inimitably busy and extraordinary.
Day 1: Start Tokyo
Day 2: Morning orientation walk and free afternoon to explore the city's highlights
Day 3: Train to Kanazawa, the gateway to the Noto Peninsula; afternoon cycle loop
Day 4: Cycle from Kanazawa to Togi, along rugged coastline and past fishing villages
Day 5: Rewarding coastal ride to Wajima; enjoy scenic ocean views and rock
formations en route
Day 6: Early morning optional market visit; cycle to Suzu; enjoy coastal views and
verdant rice paddies of Senmaida
Day 7: Final ride along the Noto Peninsula to the popular hot spring resort of
Day 8: Travel to UNESCO Shirakawa-go village by train and bus; overnight in a
traditional gassho-zukuri farmhouse
Day 9: Challenging ride to Hida Takayama, at the foothills of the Japanese Alps
Day 10: Cycle to the castle town of Gujo Hachiman, past little villages, local
shrines and paddy fields
Day 11: Cycle along the Nagara River to the town of Gifu
Day 12: Travel to Kyoto by train; free time for sightseeing
Day 13: Final circular ride in Kyoto exploring the pleasant district of Arashiyama
and two seasonal temples
Day 14: End Kyoto
- 13 nights hotels and ryokans (traditional ,All accommodation All transport and listed activities
- All breakfasts and 5 dinners
- Japanese guesthouses), some with shared facilities
- 9 days cycling with partial vehicle support (limited seats)90% tarmac roads, 10% country lanes or gravel paths
- Special cherry blossoms and autumn colours departures
- Group transfers (for group flights)Local bike hire
- Mainly undulating with a few steady climbs
- Local bike hire included (e-bikes can be requested but are very limited and subject to availability)
- Any international flights to Tokyo and from Kyoto are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Cycling in Japan tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 297+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cycling in Japan tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 November 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 November 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cycling in Japan tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cycling in Japan tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.