- National parks
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 11 days
- tour type Group
- max group size 15
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Spot snow monkeys in Nagano.
- Relax in the healing waters of an onsen.
- Explore a 16thcentury samurai castle.
- Cycle through the rural town of Hagi.
Wander off the beaten path away from Japan's big cities and popular sites with this 11-day tour that takes you to destinations that are often overlooked. Visit the treasured castle of Matsumoto and learn about samurai culture, relax in a traditional hot spring-fed onsen, explore the quaint city of Hagi by bicycle, and settle in at a community homestay to truly immerse yourself in the local culture. Of course, there's time before and after to explore Tokyo and Kyoto, making this trip a well-rounded glimpse into Japan's past and present.
Day 1: Tokyo
Day 2: Tokyo
Day 3: Tokyo/Nagano
Day 4: Nagano
Day 5: Nagano/Otsu
Day 6: Otsu/Hagi
Day 7: Hagi
Day 8: Hagi/Tottori
Day 9: Tottori/Kyoto
Day 10: Kyoto
Day 11: Kyoto
- Hotels (7 nts), traditional inn (1 nt, shared facilities), homestay (2 nts, multi-share).
- 3 breakfasts, 3 dinners
- Bus, bullet train, local train, bicycle, walking.
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout.
- Your G for Good Moment: Hagi Community Homestay, Hagi
- Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group
- Your Hands-On Moment: Traditional Paper-making Lesson, Mihomisumi
- Modern Tokyo walking tour
- Zenkoji Temple visit (Nagano)
- Jigokudani Monkey Park visit (Nagano)
- Matsumoto Castle visit
- Hagi Community Homestay welcome ceremony
- Hagi cycling tour
- Tottori sand dunes visit
- Tottori fish market visit
- Fushimi Inari Taisha shrine visit
- Japan Rail (JR) pass (7 days)
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Any international flights to Tokyo and from Kyoto are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Back Roads of Japan tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 133+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Back Roads of Japan tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 14 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 14 July 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Back Roads of Japan tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Back Roads of Japan tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Age Requirement
You must be 18 to travel unaccompanied on a G Adventures tour. For minors travelling with a guardian over 21 years old, the minimum age is 12.Does this trip suit me?
- 1. Travel Style : ClassicAll of the highlights, culture, access, and I-can’t-believe-we-did-that moments, all at a great price.
- 2. Service Level : StandardComfortable tourist-class accommodations with character; mix of public and private transport.
- 3. Physical Grading : 3 - AverageSome tours may include light hiking, biking, rafting, or kayaking in addition to walking.
- 4. Trip Type : Small GroupGroup trips average 12 travellers per departure, depending on the adventure. The maximum is usually no more than 16, but some can be smaller or bigger, depending on the trip. Check individual trips for details.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- This tour has been limited to a group size of 12 participants to protect against COVID-19. The tour will furthermore adhere to any local government restrictions on group sizes to ensure that everybody are kept safe.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.