- duration 4.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 12+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Escape the big city for a nature retreat in the fresh mountain air
- Hike Mount Tochal for the scenic views of one of Iran’s highest mountains
- Explore the neighbourhood of Darband, a beautiful local gem set into the mountains
- Have the chance to sample the traditional Persian Dizi cuisine that attracts Tehran locals to Darband restaurants
Experience a different side of Tehran with a visit to the mountains. Known as the gateway of the mountain, Darband is a cultural gem set into the slopes of Mount Tochal. The starting point of a beautiful mountain hiking trail and a local hotspot for traditional Dizi cuisine, it’s a welcome escape from the hustle and bustle of central Tehran.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to current government restrictions in Iran, American, Canadian, and British nationals may only join a Tehran Urban Adventure if they are travelling as part of an Intrepid tour. Urban Adventures tours in Tehran can only be scheduled for the day immediately before your Intrepid tour starts, or the day immediately after your Intrepid tour ends. Travellers of these nationalities must travel as part of an organised tour and are not permitted to be in Iran longer than one day before or one day after their tour ends. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meaning door to the mountain in Persian, the lesser-known neighbourhood of Darband is indeed your gateway to Tochal Mountain. It is one of the highest of the Alborz mountain range, which spans from the northwest to the northeast of Iran like a big wall standing above Tehran.
Our Tehran tour begins with a hike along the mountain trail running through Darband. We’ll stop for tea at a café and get acquainted with local Iranian leisure and lifestyle. Darband is a popular local spot for young people to walk around, enjoy meals, tea and Qalian water pipe. It is also famous for serving a delicious Persian traditional cuisine called Dizi, which you can have for lunch if you’d like.
As we walk back towards Tajrish Square, get your cameras ready to capture the most beautiful scenery in Tehran. We’ll visit the historic cemetery of Zahirolddoleh where many celebrated Iranian poets, writers, and musicians have been laid to rest. From there, we’ll visit the beautiful Imamzadeh Saleh shrine to marvel at the thousands of tiny mirrors glittering in the light.
Due to its cool weather and mountain location, many of the pre-revolution Shah palaces are located in this area. Before that, it was home to the palaces of Qajari kings. Since most of the historic monuments are located in the older central part of Tehran, walking through this relatively modern area will give you a different perspective on the city.
- Transportation from the subway station to Darband
- Local English-speaking guide
- Items of a personal nature
- Dizi (available for approx. $10 USD if you’d like)
- other food and drink
- tips or gratuities for drivers or guides.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Beyond Tehran tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 28 November 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 28 November 2020, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Beyond Tehran tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Beyond Tehran tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Entrance to Tajrish subway station (Google GPS Location: 35.804575,51.433487).Meeting end point :
Entrance to Tajrish subway stationCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.