- duration 15 days
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 18+ years old
- age_requirement 18+ years old
- Explore the unique Turkmen capital of Ashgabat on a guided tour
- Wild camp near the 'Door to Hell' Darvaza Crater
- Overland in to the Karakum desert
- Explore the ruined city of Kunye Urgench
This journey takes us deep into heartlands of the ancient Silk Route. Starting in the bizarre city of Ashgabat, we overland across the remote and inhospitable deserts of Turkmenistan to the incredible burning gas crater of Darvaza and the crumbling ancient ruins of Konye Urgench, before crossing into the fascinating country of Uzbekistan.
It is in Uzbekistan that we'll discover the jewels in the crown of the fabled journey of the Silk Road, at the ancient cities of Khiva, Bukhara and Samarkand. History and stunning architecture vie for prominence in each city, and the wealth of culture and local heritage is breathtaking; the bazaars and souks are fascinating.
North of the Oxus River lies the Kyzylkhum Desert, where we will overnight in a yurt stay before heading to the great city of Tashkent for a bit of R&R and old fashioned night clubs.
Day 1: Tashkent
Day 2: Samarkand
Day 3: Samarkand
Day 4: Samarkand
Day 5: Kyzylkhum Desert
Day 6: Bukhara
Day 7: Bukhara
Day 8: Bukhara
Day 9: Khiva
Day 10: Khiva
Day 11: Kunye Urgench
Day 12: Darvaza
Day 13: Ashgabat
Day 14: Ashgabat
Day 15: Ashgabat
- Overland Expedition Vehicle
- Two Dragoman Crew Members, Local Guides where necessary, Local Crew Member in certain areas
- Comfortable Hotel 8 nights
- Yurt Camp 1 night
- Basic Hotel 3 nights
- Camping without facilities 2 nights
- 11 Breakfasts
- 3 Lunches
- 3 Dinner
- Any international flights to Tashkent and from Ashgabat are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Uzbekistan & Turkmen Explorer tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 133 today.
- Earn US$ 88+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Uzbekistan & Turkmen Explorer tour. You can cancel the tour up to 61 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 60 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 March 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 March 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 60 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Uzbekistan & Turkmen Explorer tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Uzbekistan & Turkmen Explorer tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Local Payment The local payment is a group fund, paid separately from the trip price on the first day of the tour. It covers everything that the group does together on the ground. This is primarily hotel accommodation and campsite fees, meals whilst camping (but not while eating in restaurants), and included activities and puts money directly back to the local community. The local payment, or kitty system, is unique to overlanding tours and provides maximum flexibility and best value on the road - you can see exactly what is being paid for, you get everything at cost price, it keeps costs competitive by leveraging group expenses and saves on administrative costs. The fund is run by the tour guide, and any excess left over at the end is returned equally to the group. Local prices are estimated in USD when we print the brochure then reviewed monthly as local costs and exchange rates vary throughout the year. It's therefore important once you book your trip to check the website regularly and just before departure for any changes to the amount.