- duration 21 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Tashkent Old City tour
- Khiva: World Heritage Site
- Ashgabat: City Tour
- Visiting all '5 Stans'
Five Stans Tours from Adventures Abroad: What was once a part of the greatest trade route in the world, Central Asia and the Five Stans (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan) are a collection of countries with outstanding history, sprawling landscapes, and timeless beauty.
It is a place to get lost in cities that date back more than 2,000 years, with bazaars and markets in a constant state of buzz. A place to feel like a nomad in the sparsely populated grassy steppes with yurts for homes. Despite being five independent republics, it is a region best visited all together to understand how history and tradition can change a culture.
Starting in Uzbekistan, our Five Stans tours take us into the heart of Central Asia. Cities such as Tashkent are a blend of Soviet architecture with bland buildings leading to grand metro stations, before spilling out onto the old city fit with medieval madrassas, markets and mausoleums, while the superb museums showcase a rich history maintained after the devastating earthquakes and revolutions of the early 20th century.
Indeed, early on into our Five Stans tour one realizes it is also the five M's that will be visited: Madrassas or Islamic schools, markets, mausoleums, museums, and mosques. A city that seems to have stood still despite the passing of time, which encompasses all five 'M's would be Khiva, with its blue domed and tiled features found throughout the walled city. Nowhere feels closer to the Silk Road than here, with ruins and perfectly preserved elements found throughout this oasis city.
As the tour continues, Bukhara and Samarkand are often thought of as highlights as well. The enigmatic Registan Square in Samarkand with its three madrassas standing solemnly are often compared favourably with the Wonders of the World. Meanwhile the bathhouses and royal palaces of Bukhara make this feel like a living museum still in the age of the Silk Road.
While Uzbekistan tends to inspire, Turkmenistan can sometimes tend to mystify. With a capital city recreated in marble, it is also home to the worldÃ¢ÂÂs largest hand woven carpet and an interesting culture with an immense pride in horses. Certainly, it is an independent culture from that of the rest of the Five Stans with desert regions and ruins of Merv, a city that was once the largest in the world.
By the time our tour arrives in Tajikistan, we will once again prove how diverse this region is. Over the snow-capped and dramatic mountains, we arrive in the gardened capital of Dushanbe for a brief visit before moving onto the grassy steppes and mountains of Kazakhstan. Unlike the ancient cities of Uzbekistan, Almaty in Kazakhstan is relatively new after being built in the 19th century, and many of the features that came to the city during the Soviet Union are still embraced. From the Orthodox churches to the Soviet memorials, Kazakhstan moves at a much quicker pace than the other nations on our Five Stans tour.
The high mountain ranges continue, all the way into the landlocked Kyrgyz Republic. Another former Soviet country, this in an area with strong historical ties to the Silk Road and a long legacy lasting from the Mongol Empire.
From the ancient times to the present, the Five Stans are a destination for those curious of cultures that were once at the centre of crossroads for centuries.
Day : 1 Arrival in Tashkent
Day : 2 Tashkent: City Tour
Day : 3 Tashkent - Fly to Nukus - Ayaz Kala - Toprak Kala - Khiva
Day : 4 Khiva: City Tour
Day : 5 Khiva, Uzbekistan - Darvaza Gas Crater, Turkmenistan - Ashgabat
Day : 6 Ashgabat: City Tour
Day : 7 Ashgabat - Fly to Merv (Mary)
Day : 8 Merv, Turkmenistan - Bukhara, Uzbekistan
Day : 9 Bukhara: City Tour
Day : 10 Bukhara - Train to Samarkand
Day : 11 Samarkand: City Tour
Day : 12 Samarkand: Registan Square
Day : 13 Samarkand, Uzbekistan - Penjikent, Tajikistan
Day : 14 Penjikent - Iskanderkul - Dushanbe
Day : 15 Dushanbe: City Tour
Day : 16 Dushanbe, Tajikistan - Fly to Almaty, Kazakhstan
Day : 17 Almaty: City Tour
Day : 18 Almaty, Kazakhstan - Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Day : 19 Bishkek - Lake Issyk-Kul
Day : 20 Lake Issyk-Kul - Bishkek
Day : 21 Departure
- 20 Breakfast
- 20 Dinner
- Any international flights to Tashkent and from Bishkek are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this THE FIVE STANS tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 193+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this THE FIVE STANS tour. You can cancel the tour up to 91 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 90 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 27 April 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 27 April 2021, a deposit of 500 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 90 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
THE FIVE STANS tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this THE FIVE STANS tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This trip will adhere to local authorities’ requirements on group sizes. Group sizes will be reduced or spilt throughout the tour duration or on some days to protect against COVID-19.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be implemented during transportation and followed on the accommodation premises as well.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has implemented COVID-19 protocols that are in line with the recommendations from the World Health Organization and which furthermore follows the World Travel & Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travel’ guidelines