Thailand in April: Weather, Tips & Beach Fun
- 505 views
Come embark on an exquisite trip to Thailand in April. Explore the natural beauty of this charming country, get immersed in Thai culture, stroll around its historic sites and enjoy relaxing on tropical beaches. All these things you can do at your own pace and with little distraction during your trip to Thailand in April as the tourist crowd is low during this time of year. And what is more, the weather is also great for a perfect summer holiday.
Thailand weather in April
Thailand's daytime temperature gets relatively hot in April when the mercury can rise up to 35°C. It gets much balmier towards the evening, with an average of 26°C. So get ready for plenty of sunshine when visiting Thailand in April. This is an ideal time to visit the country’s beaches in Krabi and Phuket, the country’s coastal regions, where bracing winds offset the hot weather. Rainfall in Thailand ranges from low to moderate in April depending on the places you visit. However, some rain is always welcome as it cools down on hot summer days.
For a complete seasonal overview, check out our article on the best time to visit Thailand.
Weather in Thailand in April - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||32||33||34||35||34||33||33||33||32||32||31||31|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||21||23||25||26||26||26||26||26||25||25||24||21|
|Avg Daily (°F)||89.6||91.4||93.2||95||93.2||91.4||91.4||91.4||89.6||89.6||87.8||87.8|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||69.8||73.4||77||78.8||78.8||78.8||78.8||78.8||77||77||75.2||69.8|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||10||10||50||110||180||180||180||170||220||190||40||10|
Why visit Thailand in April
An absolute banger awaits those who visit Thailand in April as the country celebrates Songkran, or Thai New Year celebrations, on the 13th of the month. This festival continues for days and is famous for its water fights, a perfect excuse to socialize with the locals and learn more about Thai culture. Besides, the summer weather means it is time to head to the beach and explore the country’s popular destinations.
Here are a few reasons why visiting Thailand in April is an excellent idea.
- Relatively fewer crowds: As April marks the transition from the peak to the shoulder season, there are comparatively fewer tourists during this time of year. Visitor numbers may start to rise towards the middle of the month, as it is the start of the New Year’s celebrations, but it is still lower than the peak season.
- More bargains: An off-season also means that the cost of travel and accommodation would be comparatively lower. But be advised that finding hotels in prominent cities such as Chiang Mai and Bangkok could be difficult in the run-up to the Songkran festival. So book your hotels well in advance.
- Events in April: Songkran celebrations kick start days of festivities in Thailand. From water fights to parades, the fun never leaves the streets of Thai cities for days.
- Cultural hotspots: April is the perfect time to wander among and record the intricate details of the cultural highlights of Thailand, such as Wat Pho, or the Temple of the Reclining Buddha, in Bangkok and the Doi Suthep Temple in Chiang Mai.
- Beach fun: April’s weather conditions are great for enjoying the many beaches of Thailand. Since there are fewer visitors out and about, you will definitely have a great time.
Where to go and what to do
Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Krabi are some of the best places to visit in Thailand in April. Explore the bustling capital of Bangkok. Check into its upscale restaurants and trendy shopping centers, visit the iconic Wat Pho temple, and the Royal Grand Palace, and take in the splendor of Phetchaburi's awe-inspiring monuments. Alternatively, you might want to head north to visit Kanta Elephant Sanctuary and explore the Tham Lod Caves. You can also experience the nightlife of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai as well as enjoy an island holiday in Ko Phi Phi during this time of year.
Soak up the sun at the best beaches in Thailand in April, such as Koh Samui and Koh Pha Ngan. Explore the reefs of Koh Tao, or sail on a kayak through the exotic Surin islands and the mangroves in the Gulf of Thailand. From unwinding on Phuket's gorgeous beaches and sampling Hua Hin's native cuisine to shopping for the best souvenirs at Chatuchak Market, there is no limit to the things you can do in Thailand in April.
For more inspiring travel ideas, head to our guide on how many days to spend in Thailand.
With pleasant climate conditions, Thailand in April opens multiple opportunities for you to explore. Embrace pristine coastal regions and famous tourist destinations as you please and at your own time because there are fewer crowds. Although the temperature rises rapidly during April, the end of the peak season will assure that your holiday is peaceful and affordable.
Need help planning a customized trip to Thailand? You can always connect with our travel experts in the country or check out our packaged tours to Thailand in April for more ideas and insights.