Tanzania in December: Short Rain, Safari and Weather Tips
- 684 views
If you love the thrill of adventure, skip the conventional vacation spots and go to Tanzania in December instead. It is a wonderful time to witness the plentiful sights in Tanzania and experience the best of activities. The weather is perfect to spot wildlife in the Serengeti or relax on a beach holiday in Zanzibar Island.
Tanzania Weather in December
The weather in Tanzania in December is lovely, with warm and sunny days. The average Tanzania temperature in December hovers around 27°C. Evenings can be cool, so it is a good idea to pack a light jacket or a sweater. December is Tanzania's end of the dry season, so expect little rainfall during your trip. The lack of precipitation makes for perfect safari conditions, as the animals congregate around water sources.
Check out our seasonal guide to find out the best time to visit Tanzania.
Weather in Tanzania in December - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||31||31||31||30||28||29||27||28||29||30||30||30|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||23||22||22||22||20||19||18||17||17||19||21||22|
|Avg Daily (°F)||87.8||87.8||87.8||86||82.4||84.2||80.6||82.4||84.2||86||86||86|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||73.4||71.6||71.6||71.6||68||66.2||64.4||62.6||62.6||66.2||69.8||71.6|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||90||120||170||240||210||40||30||30||20||80||130||100|
Why Visit Tanzania in December
Warm and sunny weather conditions make December one of the best times to visit Tanzania. Outdoor activities like safari can be a pleasurable experience during this time. Here are some more reasons why it is a great idea to travel to Tanzania in December.
- Start of the emerald season: Tanzania heralds the start of the 'Emerald Season’ in December as the country witnesses green, lush landscape that provides a beautiful backdrop for a safari experience.
- Ideal time for keen birders: Tanzania is a birdwatcher's paradise, and December is one of the best times there for birdwatching. Sparse foliage offers a perfect opportunity to spot birds. Rainfall also helps by bringing out Tanzania's colorful feathered residents into view.
- Calving season: December is the month when wildebeests, the Serengeti’s famous inhabitants, give birth to their young ones. The calving season runs from December to March, and there is a high chance that you can witness this magical moment on one of your game drives.
- Relatively fewer footfalls and agreeable rates: The first half of December sees a lighter flow of tourists in the country which is also a good time to get some wonderful deals. We suggest making bookings in advance for these dates. The third and fourth week welcomes the Christmas and New Year crowds which directly brings a hike in prices for all services.
- Festivals: There are plenty of festive events to witness when traveling in Tanzania in December. Swahili Fashion Week and the Zanzibar Beach and Watersports Festival are two popular festivals that take place during this month. Swahili Fashion Week is the biggest annual fashion event in Central Africa where designers from Swahili regions showcase their sartorial talents. The Zanzibar Beach and Watersports Festival is a three-day event that celebrates the beach life of Tanzania in the form of various sports tournaments like kite surfing, bike racing, rugby, volleyball, and beach football.
Where to Go and What to Do
Visit the Serengeti to witness an incredible variety of wildlife, including lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, and wildebeest. If you are lucky, you might witness the last of the Great Migration of wildbeest in the northern areas of national park. However, December is a tricky month, so we suggest consulting with on-the-ground guides and locals before making any plans. Besides, there are plenty of opportunities to witness wildlife in other Tanzanian national parks. Explore the Ngorongoro Crater, home to an abundance of wildlife, including lions, hippos, and flamingos. Take a tour to Manyara National Park which is a beautiful national park known for its flamingos, elephants, and tree-climbing lions. The park is also home to a variety of bird species, making it a paradise for birdwatchers.
For a relaxed beach holiday, Zanzibar is an ideal destination. Head to this exotic island paradise to unwind after a busy safari. The island is known for its beautiful beaches, turquoise waters, and rich culture. December is a great time to spot whale sharks and if you are brave enough, choose to snorkel, dive or swim in the waters alongside these magnificent creatures. For those who are not interested, the warm, white, sandy beaches are still a welcome respite. You can also explore the Iraqw village. Located in the country's highlands, it offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
Tanzania in December provides a perfect condition for nature and wildlife tours. If you plan the trip correctly, you can see and explore the best of Tanzania, including a great beach holiday and a thrilling safari in Tanzania at your own pace and without the high-season crowd.
Browse through our collection of packaged tours to Tanzania in December or contact our travel experts to get a tailor-made itinerary to Tanzania.
Other Related Articles:
Tanzania in November
Tanzania Tailormade Vacation Packages