Norway in February: Weather Tips and Low-Season Rates
- 253 views
At first glance, Norway might not seem like an ideal vacation destination for February. But look a little closer and you will find the most romantic month of the year has a lot going for it in this Scandinavian country. Full of local festivals and still covered with a soft blanket of snow (especially in the northern regions), a trip to Norway in February also offers a chance to catch the elusive Northern Lights. Is there anything more romantic than that? Read on for more details.
Norway Weather in February
As is the case with many destinations across Europe, February is one of the coldest months of the year in Norway— and also one of the best times to visit the country. In Oslo and the south of the country, you can expect temperatures to linger in single digits (Celsius), giving plenty of reasons for another cup of hot chocolate. It tends to be a little wetter in Bergen and on the coast, while the north of the country is slightly colder than Oslo. The good news is that it rarely rains here. Instead, you will see a gentle fall of snow, ideal for donning your ski gear and hitting the slopes.
For a seasonal overview, read our article on the best time to visit Norway.
Weather in Norway in February - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||1||2||6||9||16||20||22||20||16||10||4||-1|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||-7||-7||-3||1||7||11||13||12||7||4||-1||-5|
|Avg Daily (°F)||33.8||35.6||42.8||48.2||60.8||68||71.6||68||60.8||50||39.2||30.2|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||19.4||19.4||26.6||33.8||44.6||51.8||55.4||53.6||44.6||39.2||30.2||23|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||50||40||60||40||50||80||70||90||70||90||70||50|
Why Visit Norway in February
Norway was made for winter as much as it was for summer. Check out these reasons for visiting Norway in February and you will soon be booking your own trip to the far north.
- Low-season rates: Outside of the ski resorts in the country’s central mountains, February is considered a low season in Norway, meaning reduced prices in some of its best hotels and a lot less hassle trying to get reservations at the hottest table in town.
- Northern Lights: February is pretty much the last month to see the Northern Lights swirl across the Arctic sky until winter comes back around. So grab the opportunity with both hands.
- Cultural celebrations: Norway in February is abuzz with several important festivals, including Sami Week, the Polar Jazz Festival, and the Kristiansund Opera Festival.
- Winter sports: Spring may be around the corner, but there is still plenty of snow in Norway in February to enjoy a whole range of adrenaline sports.
- Longer days: A couple of minutes of daylight are added each day in Norway in February, which means even more time to enjoy everything that is on offer.
Where to go and what to do
Bergen is a fantastic place to start exploring Norway in February. It is overflowing with history, culture, and spectacular walks in equal measure. For food that will keep you warm throughout the day, Oslo is the undisputed culinary capital as well as the political one. But if you are coming for the snow, head north and you will soon find it. And ski resorts are not the only places you can travel to. Cross the Arctic Circle to experience a traditional Sami welcome. Discover what it is really like to sleep overnight in the modern equivalent of an igloo and see the northernmost point of mainland Europe in Nordkapp. Ride a dog sled through a wild Arctic landscape, or take in the beauty outside of your window during a train ride from Oslo to Bergen. You might also want to hop on a Hurtigruten cruise and sail through the frigid waters of the Arctic during your trip to the country this month. No trip to Norway in February is complete without having chased the Northern Lights, whose strange colors have been intriguing humans for centuries.
Norway’s snowscapes, fjords, Sami culture, and a long history all combine to create a magical effect on everyone heading to the country in February. Contact one of our local travel experts if you are interested in a customized itinerary to Norway.
For more ideas and insights, check out our tours to Norway in February.