Mexico in February: Weather, Tips & More
- 690 views
The weather in Mexico in February is warm and pleasant in most places. It is a great time to relax on the beach, indulge in some high-octane adventure sports, and explore the country’s cultural heritage. Since it is also one of the driest months of the year, all parts of the country are easily accessible. There is a wonderfully diverse range of places to see and things to do in Mexico in February. You can surf the high waves of Puerto Vallarta, visit the ruins of Chichen Itza, see adorable black turtles in Colola and send your adrenaline soaring while ziplining in Isla Mujeres. Safe to say, your Mexico vacation will not be without a thrill.
Mexico Weather in February
The weather in Mexico in February is warm, with the average daily highs of around 27°C and the average daily minimum of around 19°C. Rainfall is uncommon in Mexico in February. This is a good time to visit Cancun if you are looking for nice warm weather, with the mercury reaching 29ºC in this popular beach destination and settling down to a cool 18ºC during the evening. The average high temperature in Mexico City during this time of year is a pleasant 21.7°C, while the average low can be around 8.5°C.
For a seasonal overview, check out our travel guide on the best time to visit Mexico.
Weather in Mexico in February - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||21||22||24||25||25||24||22||23||23||23||22||20|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||5||6||7||10||11||12||12||12||12||10||7||5|
|Avg Daily (°F)||69.8||71.6||75.2||77||77||75.2||71.6||73.4||73.4||73.4||71.6||68|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||41||42.8||44.6||50||51.8||53.6||53.6||53.6||53.6||50||44.6||41|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||10||20||10||20||30||40||60||40||90||20||20||10|
Why Visit Mexico in February
There are many excellent reasons to visit Mexico in February, with moderate weather being just one of them. Here is why you should consider traveling to Mexico in February:
- No accessibility issues: The entire length and breadth of the country are easily accessible during this time of year, primarily because of negligible rainfall. This means that you can plan a comprehensive trip to each and every nook and corner of the country.
- Good weather: Though it does get warm during the day, by and large, the weather of Mexico in February is pleasant, making it ideal for exploring this fascinating country.
- Coastal delight: The entire Pacific coast of Mexico is up for grabs during this month. Be it surfing, swimming, diving or whale-watching—there is no shortage of activities to enjoy.
- Butterfly migration: This is the month when hundreds of millions of monarch butterflies begin their 3,000-mile journey back to Canada. Travel to Mexico in February if you wish to partake in this tale of an epic migration.
- Celebration time: Many Mexican cities welcome the end of winter with carnivals, which involve boisterous crowds, dancing, parades, and fireworks. The country also sees other events in February, like the Festival Sayulita, a film festival that also features live music, lectures, and tastings of local dishes. If you are an art aficionado, there is the Zona Maco Art Fair in Mexico City, widely regarded as one of the most prestigious art events in Latin America. Music fans can opt for the San Pancho Music Festival, which sees both local and international performers.
Where to go and what to do
Your dream Mexican vacation must include the country’s political and cultural capital. The weather of Mexico City in February is ideal for going on food and art walks, admiring its colonial-era architecture, and visiting the museum dedicated to the iconic Mexican artist Frida Kahlo.
Mexico’s weather in February is near-perfect for that dreamy beach holiday in Cancun. Get your fill of sun, sand, and sea on any of the two beaches in the city. However, this city is more than just a beach destination. One can learn more about Mayan culture at the city’s excellent Museo Maya de Cancún as well as at the San Miguelito archaeological site. If you are looking for a calmer setting, away from the non-stop beach parties, head to the states of Yucatán and Campeche, which are known for their mangrove forests, unspoiled beaches, and charming colonial villages.
February is also a great time to savor the slow-paced life, natural beauty, and traditions of Isla Mujeres. The island is a popular destination for diving and snorkeling as well. Mexico’s beautiful black turtles, once nearing extinction, are a good example of a successful conservation effort. See them at Colola beach, located along the rugged Michoacán coastline. This beach is home to an astonishing 75 percent of the world’s black turtle population. Another great February activity is a tour of the southern city of Oaxaca, known for its dizzying mix of great street art and architecture, craft-making village communities, delightful weekly local markets, green hills that offer hiking and biking opportunities, and a distinctive regional appeal that is different from anything else you will experience in Mexico.
What to bring
You will be walking a lot in February, which means that a good pair of walking shoes are a must. A light jacket and some warm clothes are essential in places like Mexico City, where the minimum temperature can sometimes drop down to single digits.
The entire length and breadth of this exciting country are waiting to be discovered in February. Check out our travel guide to get tips on how many days to spend in Mexico. We recommend going on a 10-day trip for the ideal vacation in the country. If you are strapped for time, you could still opt for a 7-day itinerary to cover all the major highlights. Our local travel experts can help you plan the right tour to Mexico in February; make sure to reach out to them if you are interested in a customized itinerary.
Make sure to check out our tours to Mexico in February to plan your trip right away!
Our other similar travel guides that may interest you:
Mexico in January
Mexico in March
Mexico private tours
Mexico group tours