- 56 views
With the rainy season still a month away, hot and dry weather conditions are the hallmarks of Mexico in April. The whole country is accessible at this time of year, offering you a potpourri of destinations to choose from. Relax on the powder sand beaches of Cancun or cool off with a dip in the sea. Swim with sea turtles in Tulum or enjoy diving into the water around Socorro Island. Go on food and art tours in Mexico City and watch cliff divers take a plunge from the height of 110 feet in La Quebrada. There are plenty of things to do during your Mexico vacation.
Mexico’s weather in April is characterized by little rain and either hot or warm days in most parts of the country. But the weather in Mexico City is noticeably moderate and even pleasant during mornings and evenings, with temperatures ranging from a minimum of 12.3°C to highs of 25.4°C. In Cancun, however, the mercury can soar up to an average high of 32ºC during the daytime before cooling down to an average of about 21ºC in the evening. Since April is still part of the spring break, many tourists, especially students from America, like to enjoy their beach vacations in Cancun. Having said that, the beaches across the country are as not as crowded in April as they are in March.
For a seasonal overview, we suggest that you check out our tour guide on the best time to visit Mexico.
Despite the heat, a trip to Mexico in April is bound to be a wonderful experience. Below are the reasons why.
- Shoulder season: Since April is not the peak tourist season in Mexico (although it is not a low tourist season either), you can bargain for good deals in some top-rated resorts.
- Great outdoors: While it is indeed hot in many parts of the country, April is also a fairly dry month. If you are wondering about the right time to explore Baja California’s desert landscape, then make your travel plans for this time of year and you will not regret it.
- Party time: The spring break that begins in March extends till April. This is the month when partying never stops in beach resorts like Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
- Surf the waves: April’s weather is ideal not only for kicking back on the beach but also for enjoying water-related activities like surfing and diving.
- Festive season: Be part of some fun-filled events and festivals while you are in Mexico in April. These include Semana Santa (Holy Week), which is full of boisterous parades and music; San Marcos National Fair, Mexico’s largest fair featuring markets, music, dance, and fireworks; as well as the theater and opera performances that are part of Festival del Cento Histórico México.
Beach parties along with superb diving and snorkeling conditions await anyone heading for Mexico in April. Add top-rated cultural and historic attractions to this and you are in for a dream vacation. Moderate weather makes it a pleasant time to explore Mexico City in April. Cover the city’s top sights like the museum of the iconic Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, the National Palace, and the trendy Juarez neighborhood, which is perfect for an evening stroll.
You will be spoilt for choices at this time of year when it comes to beaches. Besides eternal favorites like visiting Cancun, there is the option to explore Puerto Vallarta, known for its pristine beaches and cultural offerings, as well as discovering Playa del Carmen, where you can combine serious partying with lazing on the sand and swimming in underwater cenotes. For some amazing vistas, make sure that you include Acapulco, one of the most famous beach resort cities in the country, in your itinerary. The relatively quieter Holbox Island is also known for its gorgeous beaches along with snorkeling and diving opportunities, while Socorro Island is a popular whale-watching destination. If you are looking for a destination that has it all, try vacationing in Tulum. Blessed with a scenic coastline and turquoise waters, Tulum has excellent diving sites in the form of underground caves and cenotes as well as Mayan ruins. Plus, it is also home to Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve, where Mayan-era canals are hidden amid tall grasses.
In all probability, you will be walking a lot during your trip to Mexico in April. Therefore, make sure that you pack a sturdy pair of hiking boots. Also, carry a light jacket along with a handful of warm clothes just in case the temperature dips late in the evening in Mexico City.
April is an excellent month to explore Mexico and discover some of its hidden gems. Reach out to our local travel experts for a personalized itinerary to Mexico based on your requirements. If you are looking for ideas for planning your trip, make sure to check out our travel guide on how many days to spend in Mexico. We recommend opting for a 10-day stay but if you are strapped for time, you could still go for a 7-day itinerary.
So, start making arrangements for your vacation in Mexico in April.
Our other similar travel guides that may interest you:
Traveling to Mexico? Chat with a local travel specialist in Mexico who can help organize your trip.