Jordan in August: Witness the Perseid Meteor Shower
- 286 views
Jordan’s weather reputation is often exaggerated. In August, for example, the country’s temperatures are very similar to other popular vacation spots such as Florida, US. But oddly enough, this month is considered part of the low season in Jordan. But let us focus on the bright side: this is the best time to explore Jordan’s wonders with few tourist crowds around. Explore the ancient city of Petra and the numerous ruins and cultural wonders of Amman before cooling off in the Dead Sea. Take advantage of the low-season discounts and relatively crowd-free attractions by visiting Jordan in August. You will not regret it.
Jordan Weather in August
If you are looking for a sunny getaway, August in Jordan is an ideal pick. The country records absolutely no rainfall during the month, meaning travelers can explore all the attractions. Temperatures in August range between 23°C and 33°C. If you start feeling too hot, there are plenty of indoor attractions and activities to cool off.
For a seasonal overview, check out our guide on the best time to visit Jordan.
Weather in Jordan in August - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||12||13||16||22||27||30||31||31||30||26||19||14|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||4||5||7||10||14||17||19||18||17||14||9||5|
|Avg Daily (°F)||53.6||55.4||60.8||71.6||80.6||86||87.8||87.8||86||78.8||66.2||57.2|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||39.2||41||44.6||50||57.2||62.6||66.2||64.4||62.6||57.2||48.2||41|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||50||50||40||10||10||10||10||10||10||10||30||60|
Why Visit Jordan in August
Although August is considered the low season in Jordan, the country’s top attractions and activities are still open for visitors. Check out some of the top reasons why we think visiting Jordan in August is a good idea:
- Great pricing: The low season has both hotel owners and airlines scrambling to attract customers. Visitors can therefore find excellent discounts on accommodation and travel fares. Entry fees to local attractions are also cheaper during this time of year.
- Fewer visitors: If you are looking to explore Jordan’s most-visited attractions in relative peace and quiet, then August is the best time for you to visit this country. Tourist footfall in the country is at its lowest during this time of year.
- Longer daylight hours: Jordan in August receives 12 hours of daylight, giving visitors ample time to explore all the historic sites and cultural attractions from various corners of the country, from its coffee houses to its ancient Roman attractions. This is the time when travelers can pack in as many tours and activities on their day’s itinerary.
- Special events: You may have missed July’s International Film Festival, but visit Jordan in August and you can still take part in special events like the Jerash Festival for Culture and Arts.
- Perseid Meteor Shower: Watch this annual spectacle without the light pollution from mid-July until the last days of August. Go to Wadi Rum as it is the perfect spot to witness these celestial phenomena.
Where to Go and What to Do
You can visit Amman's air-conditioned cultural venues which are ideal exploration sites for culture vultures and travelers who cannot endure the mid-summer heat of Jordan. The magnificent King Abdullah Mosque, the National Gallery of Fine Arts, and the Jordan Museum are all worth seeing. Do not overlook the Royal Automobile Museum either, which features the late King Hussein's private collection of automobiles and motorcycles.
Most international travelers arrive in Amman to explore its many attractions, such as its ancient citadel and Jordan Museum. But the country is most famous for the ancient city of Petra or the ‘Rose City’, made famous by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The ancient city and its ruins look sublime during sunset hours, a view visitors should not miss.
Other unmissable places to visit in Jordan include the Dead Sea’s beaches and mineral spas. For desert adventures, look no further than Wadi Rum, also known as the Valley of the Moon, where 4x4 tours, stargazing, and camel rides are all possible. Travelers can also find escape beneath the waves of the Red Sea at Aqaba, one of the world’s top diving destinations.
Jordan can be a great holiday destination even in the low month of August. This is the time when you can explore the country’s numerous historic and cultural attractions more intimately with not many tourists around. This is also the opportunity to snag some great low-season discounts to stretch your travel budget. Days are also long, clear, and sunny in Jordan in August, allowing you to fit in sightseeing tours and activities in your itinerary.
Chat with one of our travel experts in the country who can help you design a tailor-made trip to Jordan. For more ideas on what you can do on your trip to Jordan, see our guide on things to do in Jordan, or have a look at our guide on how many days to spend in Jordan for more information.
Other Related Articles:
Jordan in July
Jordan in September
Jordan private tours