Greece in April: The Perfect Spring Getaway
- 1.21k views
As you peel off the seasonal layers of a destination, it can dazzle with diversity – and Greece is no different. The summer months of July and August might make it a popular beach holiday destination, but traveling to Greece in April reveals charms of a different kind. The onset of spring sees the country in a kaleidoscopic display of colors. Nature rolls out a carpet of wildflowers on islands like Crete and Paxos as colorful local festivals like St George’s Day are celebrated in Skyros and other villages. Weather in Greece in April has the mainland and islands enjoying warmish to pleasant daytime temperatures with cool nights and occasional brief spells of light rain.
Greece Weather in April
Just out of the clutches of a wet and cold Mediterranean winter and not yet into the scorching arms of the summer sun, Greece sports temperate weather in April. With an average daily high of around 20ºC in Athens, it is a great time to do cultural sightseeing or outdoor excursions. The night temperature can drop to 10ºC, so keep layers handy to dress warmly. April can tend towards more frequent rains so either keep rainwear ready or sneak in a museum visit as a backup plan.
In the southern Islands such as Mykonos, Santorini, and Rhodes, the weather is fair, with highs around 20ºC. Northern islands like Corfu have similar temperatures but can see a bit more rain than their southern counterparts.
Weather in Greece in April - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||13||14||17||20||25||30||33||34||29||24||19||15|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||7||7||9||12||16||21||24||24||20||16||12||9|
|Avg Daily (°F)||55.4||57.2||62.6||68||77||86||91.4||93.2||84.2||75.2||66.2||59|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||44.6||44.6||48.2||53.6||60.8||69.8||75.2||75.2||68||60.8||53.6||48.2|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||57||47||41||31||23||11||6||6||14||53||58||98|
Why Visit Greece in April
Visiting in April means hitting a travel hat trick with minimal effort! Enjoy pleasant weather in Greece in April, cut down on vacation costs, and escape the peak-summer tourist crowds:
- Cost Control: Spring is a shoulder season so expect pocket-friendly deals in April for a cheaper Greek getaway. If sailing is on the cards, yacht charters are super affordable at this time of the year. Flying to Greece is also comparatively cheap than the expensive July month.
- Fewer crowds: April is the beginning of summer, and many islands are not yet fully operational, meaning the cruise ship horde is yet to swarm in. Locals generally holiday around the high season of August, which drastically reduces the chance of encountering a domestic crowd. Note that Easter weekend may draw tourist crowds, and attractions are closed on Easter Sunday while shops are shut through the weekend.
- Wildflower season: After the abundant winter rain, an explosion of spring wildflowers is seen in most parts of the country. Islands like Crete burst with fields of wild tulips and orchids, iris, poppies, and more than 2000 flower varieties. Nature lovers can hike or take a jeep safari to enjoy this bloom-boom.
- Festivals in April: For an Easter experience with a difference, try celebrating the holiday Greek Orthodox style. Participate in traditional Easter revelries like the lighting of Easter candles, family feasts, and fireworks displays. For a taste of a rustic festival, spend St George's Day on 23rd April at the islands of Skyros and Skiathos.
- Activities galore: From exploring historical and mythical ruins to sailing in peace and finding cruise ship-free coves practically to yourself, Greece is chockablock with a ton of spring activities. The weather in Santorini is amiable and on the drier side, making it apt for sunbathing on the volcanic sands. History hopping in Athens also gets easier with no summer heat to weigh down your walk.
Make sure to check out our travel guide on the best times to visit Greece for an in-depth seasonal overview.
Where to go and what to do
With pleasing weather, long and bright sunny days, and a sun on the softer side, Greece in April is a hiker's paradise. Explore the lush forests of Kefalonia that grow around the Melissani Caves or do a spot of birdwatching in Kerkini Lake and Evros Delta. April is when migratory birds appear in the country and add another splash of color to the already colorful canvas. Sample some delectable Mediterranean cuisine during Greece Orthodox Easter with tables laden with festival fares like spit-roast lamb and red eggs (tsoureki). Witness a quaint Orthodox Easter custom on the island of Chios where rival churches fire homemade rockets at each other as part of the celebration. Apart from the wildflower fields of Crete, other islands to score a floral high are Chios with its endemic wild orchids and the quiet island of Paxos. Safe to say, there is no shortage of things to do in Greece in April.
Greece in April can offer a gift basket of unique experiences if you align expectations with the activities to explore. Swap swimming, sunbathing, and wild party nights for romantic nature hikes, bird watching, or curious cultural explorations. Push the boundaries and discover this other side of Greece with a custom holiday to the country designed by our local travel experts. For more of our tips, check our travel guide on how many days to spend in Greece. We suggest spending around 7 days for an ideal tour of the country.
Also, make sure to check out our other tours to Greece in April to plan your next trip.
Other Related Articles:
Greece in March
Greece in May
Greece private tours
Greece luxury tours