Everest Base Camp Trek in April
- 1 comment
- 198 views
All things considered, April might be the best month to trek to Everest Base Camp. The month falls in the middle of spring and the weather is as nice as it can get in the Himalayas. This is peak trekking season and the main routes to Everest Base Camp in April can get crowded. But this is only understandable since the views along the route are particularly beautiful and the sights of mountain peaks are clearer than ever during this time.
Everest Base Camp Weather in April
If you are looking for an ideal time to visit Everest Base Camp, April is one of them. At the trek’s starting point Lukla (2,860 m) as well as Namche Bazaar (3440 m), the average minimum temperature in April is -7°C while the average maximum daytime temperature climbs up to 2.7°C. Temperatures dip as you reach the heights of Lobuche (4,950 m), where the mercury ranges between -5.5°C and -14.7°C. It is cold but there are fewer chances of snowfall around this time.
April also sees about 40 mm of rainfall on the Everest Base Camp route, which is much lower than the monsoon average. For a seasonal overview, check out our guide on the best month to trek to Everest Base Camp.
Why Trek Everest Base Camp in April
Trekkers rate April as one of the best months to do the Everest Base Camp. Let’s see why:
- Great weather: Good weather on the world’s highest mountain range is a relative term. But weather conditions during the trek to Everest Base Camp in April are better than in most months. The days are warm, rainfall is low and chances of snowfall are minimal during this time.
- Stunning views: Spring is in full bloom in April and you will get to see wildflowers and greenery along the route, especially in the first half of the trek. The views of the mountains are stunning throughout the route, and the clouds do not play spoilsport as they do during monsoon.
- Creature comforts: Teahouses along the route are open in April and you will have access to a lot of food and accommodation options on your way to Everest Base Camp.
Here are some recommended routes for your trek in April:
- Classic Everest Base Camp trek: This traditional route to Everest Base Camp is also the most popular one. You fly from Kathmandu to Lukla, where the trek starts. The main points on the route are Phakding, Namche Bazaar, Deboche, Dingboche and Lobuche. Most first-time trekkers take this classic route, so expect it to be busy.
- Arun Valley to Everest Base Camp trek: This is a more remote route, starting at Tumlingtar, east of Everest, and joining the traditional route at Kala Patthar. This is a longer trek and will take you around 21 days.
- Three Passes Detour: The Three Passes Trek is for the more adventurous souls. The trek takes you across three high passes, Kongma La (5,550m), Cho La (5,420m), and Renjo La (5,360m). It is a full-fledged trek by itself, but you can do a detour to Everest Base Camp. Three Passes is a challenging trek and popular among more experienced trekkers.
If you have been thinking of undertaking this iconic trek, April is a near-perfect month to do it because the weather conditions are ideal. Contact our travel experts in Nepal if you need assistance to choose the right trek. Check out our treks to Everest Base Camp in April.