Chile in June: All You Need to Know
- 977 views
June marks the beginning of winter in Chile. This is when the Andes are clad in white with the first snowfall of the season. However, weather conditions vary across the county, with the country’s south experiencing a colder climate than the north. Having said that, this is one of the best months to go for a skiing vacation in Chile and a great time to visit the country if you are into winter sports. However, some hotels shut down during this time of year, so make sure you plan ahead when choosing where to go on your trip to Chile in June.
Chile Weather in June
The weather in Chile in June depends on which region you are heading for, as temperatures vary greatly across the country. Daytime temperatures usually reach 15°C and fall to 4°C at night in the capital city of Santiago. Temperatures can range between 19°C and 14°C in the northern parts of the country, while it is much colder in the south, with the mercury hovering between -1°C and 4°C. In addition to this, thunderstorms are common at this time of year, as is snow.
For a seasonal overview of the country, check out our guide on the best time to visit Chile.
Weather in Chile in June - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||30||29||27||23||18||15||15||16||18||22||25||28|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||11||11||9||7||5||3||3||4||5||7||9||11|
|Avg Daily (°F)||86||84.2||80.6||73.4||64.4||59||59||60.8||64.4||71.6||77||82.4|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||51.8||51.8||48.2||44.6||41||37.4||37.4||39.2||41||44.6||48.2||51.8|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||10||10||10||10||50||40||80||40||20||10||10||10|
Why Visit Chile in June
Cold does not put off travelers from heading for Chile in June. In fact, many people choose to discover the country at this time of year. Below are some of the reasons why visiting Chile in June is a great option.
- Fewer tourists: June is one of the quietest times of the year when it comes to tourism in Chile. This means that you can enjoy your sojourn without battling crowds at every attraction. On the downside, this also means that some attractions, hotels, and restaurants will be closed. Make sure that you check ahead to see if services are available and highlight open.
- Wildlife spotting: June is one of the best times of year to visit Torres del Paine National Park. With fewer tourists around, wild animals are more likely to make an appearance, making this a great time for chasing wildlife, especially the elusive puma.
- Birdwatching: If you prefer feathers to fur, think about joining a birdwatching tour during your trip to the country. Quieter times mean better birdwatching opportunities.
- Snowsports: If you are traveling to Chile for skiing and other winter sports, June is one of the best times of year to go. There are ski resorts near the capital city of Santiago in the Three Valleys, while Termas de Chillan, yet another popular ski destination, is located further south of the capital.
- Secret summer: While the south of Chile sees some really cold temperatures in June, the north of the country is still warm.
- Gastronomic delights: Smaller crowds at this time of year mean that tourists can enjoy their pick of local restaurants and dine alongside the locals. Going on wine-tasting tours is also very popular during this time of year.
Where to go and what to do
There are plenty of places to visit in Chile in June, with activities ranging from outdoor pursuits and fun day trips to city sightseeing tours. Torres Del Paine National Park is an epic place to visit at any time of year, but this destination is a must if you are heading for Chile in June for wildlife spotting. As well as wildlife spotting, trekking around the park is a popular activity given its many natural wonders.
Going on a trip to the Atacama Desert is yet another activity that is popular among travelers for hiking and enjoying the great outdoors. If you would rather spend time exploring local culture in a pretty town, taking a Valparaiso tour is just the perfect thing to do. Foodies and art lovers can get lost in its tiny, winding alleyways which lead to numerous little galleries and eateries where you can discover the local flavor. June is also a good time to visit Easter Island as crowds would have dispersed by this month due to the rains of May.
For more ideas, go through our travel guide on how many days to spend in Chile and figure out for yourself all that you can fit into your trip.
What to bring
If you want to cover the country from north to south, make sure you have a varied wardrobe, clothes that can cater to Patagonia’s cold weather as well as the much balmier temperatures in the north.
Traveling to Chile in June is a good idea if you are a winter sports enthusiast or want to avoid crowds. If you are unsure about which activities would suit you best, feel free to contact our local travel experts and plan a customized trip to Chile with one of our experts in the country.
You can also browse through our trips to Chile in June and book a holiday right now!