Best Time to Visit Turmenistan
- JAN Avg Daily: 7 °C Avg Nightly: -2 °C
- FEB Avg Daily: 10 °C Avg Nightly: 0 °C
- MAR Avg Daily: 16 °C Avg Nightly: 5 °C
- APR Avg Daily: 24 °C Avg Nightly: 11 °C
- MAY Avg Daily: 30 °C Avg Nightly: 16 °C
- JUN Avg Daily: 36 °C Avg Nightly: 21 °C
- JUL Avg Daily: 38 °C Avg Nightly: 23 °C
- AUG Avg Daily: 37 °C Avg Nightly: 21 °C
- SEP Avg Daily: 32 °C Avg Nightly: 15 °C
- OCT Avg Daily: 23 °C Avg Nightly: 9 °C
- NOV Avg Daily: 17 °C Avg Nightly: 5 °C
- DEC Avg Daily: 10 °C Avg Nightly: 1 °C
- 139 views
You can share the above illustration on your site via this link
Even in the fast-paced and well-connected world of the internet, Turkmenistan firmly remains under the radar for most people, except for the most seasoned travelers. Explore Turkmenistan, a country of barren deserts and a rather obscure destination that has suffered from political upheaval in the past. However, if you want to experience a world that is out of the ordinary, and explores a place that is so unique and rare, Turkmenistan is the best option for you!
- Best time to visit Turkmenistan: March - June, October - December
- High season: April - June
- Low season: July - September, December - February
- All seasons: March - June (spring), July - September (summer), October - December (fall), December - February (winter)
- The best time to visit Turkmenistan is between March - June when the weather is mild and pleasant, and most areas of the country are open and accessible.
- Another great time to visit Turkmenistan is between October - December when the summer heat tapers off, and the fall weather sets in, making it pleasant for outdoor exploration.
- The weather in Turkmenistan between July - September can be incredibly hot since the entire country is a huge desert. It becomes impossible to become a part of any outdoor activities during these months.
- Another low season is between December - March, when the winter sets in, but if you don’t mind the winter cold, you can still visit the country during this period.
Turkmenistan is a country that rests squarely at the edge of the world. While it has its own share of cities and towns (with their own gigantic and ostentatious monuments), it is predominantly a country of deserts, and sands that stretch as far as the eyes can see. So far, Turkmenistan is the least visited country in Central Asia, making it a unique destination for adventure travellers to go to!
There are certain periods in which it is better for you to explore Turkmenistan and its unique history and architecture. The best time to visit Turkmenistan is between March - June, when the weather is pleasant. The day temperatures are easier to handle, and the night temperature will be really pleasant.
You can also visit Turkmenistan between October - December, to enjoy the pleasant fall weather. The summer heat would have faded away, and the winter chill is yet to set in, so this is the perfect time for outdoor activities!
March to June — Spring / Good Season
Turkmenistan is a desert country, and it is best visited in spring when the weather is mild enough for you to explore the outdoors. The spring weather in Turkmenistan is rather pleasant, especially in the regions around the Caspian Sea. The nights are pretty chill, but even in the desert, it is bearable.
- Avg. Temperature: 70 – 96° F / 21 – 36° C (in Ashgabat)
- Rainfall: 22 – 37 mm
- Season: Spring
- Highlights: There are a number of places for you to visit throughout the country, including the beautiful Karakum desert. You can also hike up to the Darvaza Crater (popularly known as the Gate to Hell), without having to put up with the horrible heat! There are a number of festivals to partake in during this period, starting from Nowruz, or the Spring festival celebrated in March, to the Ahalteke Horse Day celebrated in April!
July to September — Summer / Low Season
The weather in Turkmenistan can be incredibly hot, especially in the desert. The temperatures can go up to a 100 degrees, and stay in that range, making it impossible for people to go on outdoor treks. Turkmenistan is a country of outdoor activities, which is why it is recommended that you do not travel during this period, unless you want to experience what it’s like to live in such a hot environment!
- Avg. Temperature: 92 – 100° F / 33 – 38° C (in Ashgabat)
- Rainfall: 0 – 12 mm
- Season: Summer
- Highlights: In case you have no option but to travel during this season, this is the best time to visit Turkmenistan if you just want to head up to the Chuli Valley, and relax in a mountain resort. The weather here will be much cooler here. You can also experience the unique Melon Festival of Turkmenistan, which takes place in August. This festival celebrates different species of muskmelons, and is celebrated with a lot of dances, music concerts and more!
October to December — Fall / Good Season
This is yet another wonderful period to travel to Turkmenistan. If you want to visit when the weather is right, and explore the entire breadth of the country, this is when to visit Turkmenistan. Turkmenistan officials close the borders from 20th October - 1st November, and no visas are handed out during this period, when the Independence Day celebrations are going on, so do not plan to enter or leave the country during this period.
- Avg. Temperature: 54 – 73° F / 12 – 23° C (in Ashgabat)
- Rainfall: 1 – 9 mm
- Season: Fall
- Highlights: This is the ideal time for you to visit the number of cultural offerings Turkmenistan has to offer, including the ruins at Dashgouz, the Silk Road, or Old Nisa. Since the weather is great, you can also make a trip down to Turkmenbashi and swim in the Caspian Sea, or soak in the underground lakes at Bakharden. The Turkmenistan Independence Day falls towards the end of October, and is a great way of understanding basic culture and folklore of the country.
December to February — Winter / Low Season
Turkmenistan’s winters are cold, but not that cold, especially compared to other Central Asian countries. The weather does dip down to 0, and there might be some snowfall, but it will still be limited. There will be fewer tourists in Turkmenistan during this period, and some of the local tourist attractions might close during this period.
- Avg. Temperature: 54 – 59° F / 12 – 15° C (in Ashgabat)
- Rainfall: 9 – 23 mm
- Season: Winter
- Highlights: If you are headed to Turkmenistan during the winter, you can explore the cities without having to put up with the crowds. You can explore Ashgabat and its unique architecture (especially the Arch of Neutrality). You can also enjoy the horse races! This is also the best time to visit Turkmenistan to visit Merv, and its beautiful mausoleums and architecture!