Switzerland is truly a postcard country. With sparkling lakes and breathtaking mountain peaks everywhere you look, holidays to Switzerland is for skiers, hillwalkers, and nature lovers in general. It’s also a popular destination for foodies, with its famous Swiss wine, cheese and chocolate. A trip to Switzerland is a great for both winter and summer months. The colder months are ideal for sledging, holiday markets and thermal spas, while a summer visit will be full of lake swims and sunshine-filled walks through Swiss villages.
- Visit the Chateau de Chillon on the shores of Lake Geneva
- Ski the slopes of the Matterhorn
- Experience the luxury of St Moritz, a famous holiday resort
- Take a boat ride beneath the Rhine Falls
- Walk across Kapellbrücke, the oldest wooden covered footbridge in Europe
- Sledge down Mount Titlis in Engelberg
- See Geneva's Jet d'Eau fountain lit up at night
- Taking a train is a great way to see as much beautiful Swiss scenery as possible. Train links entirely cover the small country, and some of the most scenic routes include the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express.
- Many tourists are surprised to find out they can't use their euros in Switzerland (except in some large cities). Be sure to bring some Swiss Francs with you on your travels.
- Switzerland is not the destination for a budget traveller. Food and accommodation can be pricey and exchange rates are rarely favourable.
- Swiss hot chocolate is the best in the world. Don’t miss it.
- The Swiss are very environmentally friendly and expect everyone to recycle, including visitors. Take the time to figure out what bin is for what type of waste to avoid being called out by the locals, and don’t be afraid to ask if unsure.
- The Swiss are very, very punctual. That includes their public transportation: trains, cable cars and buses all leave promptly on time. Don't be late!
Switzerland has seasonal weather so please do check up on the best time to visit Switzerland before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in Switzerland, do check out our Switzerland Travel Guide for more information.