- Local boat rides
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 3 hours
- tour type Private
- age requirement 5+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Take a boat from Stone Town to Prison Island
- Encounter giant tortoises up close
- Dive, snorkel or swim
- Explore the old prision
This historical Island was formerly owned by an Arab and used for the confinement of refractory slaves. In 1893, Lloyd Mathews built the prison, with the idea of sending violent criminals from the Tanganyika mainland to the island. The Prison Island ended up being used as a quarantine center, instead of a prison, for yellow fever epidemics that once raged through the region. Prison Island is still owned by the Zanzibar government.
The old prison still remains standing, providing shelter for the giant tortoises which are conserved on the Prison Island. You can walk in the quarantine center and come face to face with these amazing creatures.
The island is a superb spot for the photographer. On this little paradise one can also swim, snorkel, sunbathe or just relax and enjoy the peacefulness that this beautiful island. It is fringed with a beautiful coral reef, ideal for snorkeling, and has a lovely white beach for sun-bathing.
This tour is a perfect half day-trip with refreshments available throughout the day. The island also has a small restaurant where you can enjoy simple meals. If you would like to stay longer and enjoy the beach and ocean, this is no problem!
- Snorkeling gear (life jacket, mask & flippers)
- Experienced professional tour guide
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel
- Entrances fees
- Boat charter
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- 1L bottle of mineral wate
- Medical insurance, travel insurance
- Personal purchases
- Visas & Travel Insurance
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this product is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.Other Practical InformationA deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 https://www.bookmundi.com/companydays of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.