- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Explore on foot the dramatic landscapes of the Lake District with its' majestic lakes, and rugged mountains
- Appreciate the classic rural countryside of rolling hills and pretty villages of the Yorkshire Dales
- Experience a taste of the famous CoasttoCoast walk, one of Britain’s best long distance hikes
- Enjoy the hospitality of your hosts in warm B&Bs along the route
Follow the Coast to Coast Walk from St Bees towards the historic villages and beautiful landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Rollup, rollup for just the first half of Wainwright’s masterpiece! This is a chance to walk part of the famous Coast-to-Coast walk, getting a taste of Britain’s long distance hikes. This itinerary traverses The Lake District national park ending at the quaint market town of Kirkby Stephen. Pass through the dramatic landscapes of the Lake District, majestic lakes, rugged mountains, working hill farms and pretty villages, many of which include a fine traditional English public house!
It is amazing to think that this most famous of routes, totally eclipsing the Pennine Way in terms of popularity and variety, is still not classified as a National Trail! Starting at the tiny Cumbrian seaside resort of St. Bees on the Irish Sea we head east, with the prevailing wind at our backs, into the Lake District. Walk through Ennerdale, Borrowdale and Patterdale passing by some of its most famous lakes and cross some important passes. If you are feeling fit there are options to extend a few days to include a famous peak or two such as Helvellyn.
Emerging from the mountains of Cumbria and looking east towards the Yorkshire Dales you reach your journeys end; not quite Coast to Coast but a fulfilling week of walking through some of England’s best mountain scenery.
Day 1 : Arrive St Bees
Day 2 : St. Bees to Ennerdale Bridge 23.5 km/14.5 miles, 6 h
Day 3 : Ennerdale Bridge to Borrowdale 26.5 km/16.5 miles, 7 h
Day 4 : Borrowdale to Grasmere 13.5 km/8.5 miles, 5-6 h via Helm Crag
Day 5 : Grasmere to Glenridding 12 km/7.5 miles, 5.5 h standard route
Day 6 : Glenridding to Shap 26 km/16 miles, 7-9 h
Day 7 : Shap to Kirkby Stephen 33 km/20.5 miles, 8 h
Day 8 : Arrangements end after breakfast
- 7 nights B&B accommodation on a twin share basis usually with private facilities
- Information pack including route notes & maps (1 pack per room booked)
- 7 breakfasts - Full English available most mornings
- One piece of luggage per person transferred from Inn to Inn, not exceeding 20kg
- Emergency hotline
- Dinner, lunches and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the trip
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Unscheduled transfers required during the trip
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 45 today.
- Save US$ 30+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Coast to Coast: St Bees to Kirkby Stephen - 8 Days tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Coast to Coast: St Bees to Kirkby Stephen - 8 Days tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Coast to Coast: St Bees to Kirkby Stephen - 8 Days tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.