- duration 9 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 16+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Explore Rodopi and Rila Mountains
- See the caves of the Trigradsko & the famous Seven Rila Lakes
- Climb Musala, the Balkans’ highest summit
- Enjoy amazing Alpine scenery
We will pick you up at the airport in Sofia on arrival. Start trekking from the second day, exploring the Rhodope Mountains with Trigrad as your base. Next, transfer to the Rila Mountains. See the famous Seven Rila Lakes, traverse the Scary Lake circuit and summit Musala, the highest mountain in the Balkans.
In addition to trekking in scenic mountains, you will also have the opportunity to visit natural and cultural sites such as Yagodinska Cave (considered one of Bulgaria’s most beautiful), the Trigradsko Zhdrelo Gorge with its 300 m sheer walls, Bulgaria’s second-largest monastery at Bachkovo and the old town of Plovdiv among others during this tour.
For more details, please go through the itinerary below.
Day 1: Sofia arrival
Day 2: The Caves of the Trigradsko Zhdrelo Gorge
Day 3: Trek around Trigrad
Day 4: Trigrad continues
Day 5: Trigrad – Rila Mountains (via Plovdiv)
Day 6: The Seven Rila Lakes
Day 7: The Scary Lake Circuit
Day 8: Musala peak climb
Day 9: Govedartsi – Sofia & departure
- Meals: 8 breakfasts and 8 dinners
- Arrival and departure transfer to and from Sofia Airport (only on the first & the last days of the tour). All other land transfers as per the itinerary
- All other transfers according to the itinerary
- Accommodation and catering as in the itinerary
- Luggage transfers
- Detailed route descriptions in English
- Tourist maps of the Rhodopes and Rila
- GPS tracks
- Emergency hotline
- All local taxes
- Rent of hiking poles
- Cable car tickets
- Cave entry charges
- Extra food and drink
- Travel/medical insurance
- Personal expenses
- Earn US$ 24+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationYou walk every day with just a day pack. The rest/unnecessary luggage either remains inside the transfer vehicle or in your accommodation. The tour includes all transfers, including those from and to Sofia Airport. Hiking treks are of medium and high difficulty. Paths are well marked, with clients receiving maps and detailed descriptions of the route in English. Group size: Min. 2 persons (Traveling solo? Ask us to join you to an existing reservation in order to reduce costs.) Best period: this tour can start every day during the period mid-June – mid-September; October is also possible with a change of the program of Day 8; (advance booking is required as some accommodations are small and get fully booked months in advance) Extension to Rila Monastery: 90 € per person (in a group of 2 persons or more sharing a double room; single room supplement: 25 €) (included: pick-up from Govedartsi on Day 9, transfer to Rila Monastery, a guided tour inside the monastery (in English), entry to the museum in the monastery, transfer to Sofia, overnight B&B in 3-star centrally located hotel on BB, transfer to Sofia Airport on Day 10; not included: lunch and dinner on Day 9).