- duration 8 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Hike the best of the high Bulgarian mountains
- Enjoy the mountain scenery and pristine mountain lakes
- Revel in the rocky peaks and spectacular ridges
- Visit the worldfamous UNESCO site Rila Monastery
Climb the giant of Rila, Mount Musala (2925m) the highest in Bulgaria and on the Balkan Peninsula. Trace dramatic ridges, visit the world-famous UNESCO site Rila Monastery and get a thrill on the challenging climb to the Pirin summit of Mount Vihren (2914m). Panoramic mountain views will take your breath away along an almost infinite series of trails to alpine meadows, rocky cirques, remote glacial lakes and onto spectacular ridges and summits.
The best part? You can walk every day with just a day pack. The rest of your luggage either remains inside the transfer vehicle or in your accommodation. And for peace of mind, all ground transfers are included!
Day 1: Arrival
Day 2: Climb Mount Musala
Day 3: The Seven Rila Lakes
Day 4: Transfer to the Pirin mountains with a stop at the Rila
Day 5: Climb the Polezhan summit
Day 6: Bandereshki Lakes Cirque
Day 7: Climb the Vihren summit
Day 8: Departure
- 7 Breakfasts and 3 Dinners
- Transfers to and from Sofia Airport (on first/last tour date only)
- All other transfers for the daily treks as per itinerary
- Accommodation and catering as mentioned
- GPS tracks
- Detailed route notes in English
- Maps (one per room)
- Emergency hotline
- All local taxes
- Rent of hiking poles
- Extra meals and drinks
- Lift tickets (appr. 15 Euro/pp)
- Travel/medical insurance
- Entrance fees for museums
- Earn US$ 23+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationYou walk every day with just a day pack. The rest/unnecessary luggage either remains inside the transfer vehicle or in your accommodation. This trip is not suitable for novices as you’ll be trekking high above the tree line, amongst some of the most unknown and interesting mountains to be found in Europe. No rock climbing experience is needed and no “via ferratas” are present. It is meant for very welltrained hikers with ample experience of dealing with bad climate conditions up in the mountains (incl. fog, thunderstorms etc.) and for people used to walk over rocky slopes, overtaking steep ascends/descends now and then. The terrain in the Pirin and Rila is alpine and includes trails over steep slopes, where surefootedness is necessary on a couple of occasions. Small patches of snow may still be present on some of the trails until the end of July. Best period: midJune – midSeptember; this program is meant to suit TuesdaySaturday arrivals; travelling on later dates is also possible (till the end of October), but with a program reduction (the climb to Mt. Musala will be waived since the lift used for it won’t be working after midSeptember).