- Bird watching
- duration 8 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Become directly involved in a Brown bear conservation projectInformative daily bear tracking walksTwo visits to a hide for wild Brown bear observationElusive mammals, birds, butterflies, reptiles and rare orchidsRemote landscapes in the Rodopi MountainsDelicious traditional local cuisine
Spend a week in the Rodopi Mountains discovering the realm of the Brown bear. Joined by European Brown bear expert Julian Perry, this holiday gives a unique insight into the behaviour and ecology of these most iconic yet secretive carnivores.During the course of the week we take daily hikes through the heart of prime Brown bear habitat, recording tracks, scats and other signs of bear activity as part of an on-going Brown bear conservation project.On two evenings there will be the chance to visit a specially constructed bear watching hide from where there are good opportunities to see some of the bears whose activity we have been monitoring during our days in the mountains. In addition, we will also be collecting and collating images from several camera traps that will be set up in the surrounding forests.By the end of this holiday we hope you will not only have seen Brown bears in the wild but also have an understanding and appreciation of the fascinating way of life of these mysterious and often misunderstood animals.
Day 1: Start Sofia Airport. Transfer to the village of Yagodina in the remote Rodopi
Day 2: Visit the caves at Yagodinska Peshtera. Circular bear tracking walk in the
forests above Yagodina; evening visit to bear hide.
Day 3: Circular bear tracking walk through forests and meadows; evening visit bear
Day 4: Panoramic walk in rugged and rocky karst terrain, rich in birds, butterflies
Day 5: Bear tracking walk through a mosaic of bear habitats in the mountains south
of Yagodina; evening visit bear hide.
Day 6: Circular bear tracking walk through remote carnivore habitat.
Day 7: Forest and riverside walk in search of orchids, butterflies, reptiles and
amphibians; transfer to Sofia.
Day 8: End Sofia.
- 7 nights hotel, all rooms en suite,All accommodation
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches and 7 dinners included
- Travel by private minibus, 4WD and on foot
- Transfers for group flights
- Normally 5 to 12, plus leader.
- 6 days centre-based bear tracking walks
- Min age 16 years
- Any international flights to/from Sofia are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Bulgaria: Realm of the Brown bear tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 79+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Bulgaria: Realm of the Brown bear tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 20 November 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 20 November 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Bulgaria: Realm of the Brown bear tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Bulgaria: Realm of the Brown bear tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.