- Food tour
- Local culture
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 10 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 14
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Discover Skopje and Sofia two of the Balkan's most vibrant capitalsBulgaria's UNESCO world heritage Rila MonasteryMacedonia's Tikvesh wine region and alluring Lake OhridVisit Prizren, Kosovo's culture capitalNatural beauty, ancient sites and traditional Balkan cuisine
Discover the rich history of Bulgaria, Macedonia and Kosovo, where influences from the East and the West collide. This trip showcases some of the cultural highlights of the central part of the Balkans, famous for ancient civilization traces, UNESCO world heritage monasteries and churches and the vibrant, laidback capital cities of Sofia and Skopje. Having been under numerous influences throughout the ages, both Bulgaria and Macedonia have an eclectic history where different cultures have all left their mark. But a visit to this region of the Balkan Peninsula would not be complete without experiencing the contrasting natural beauty it has to offer: national parks, high mountains, fertile valleys, famous wine regions and the peaceful, alluring Lakes Ohrid and Prespa – they are all part of this comprehensive itinerary.
Day 1: Start in Sofia, Bulgaria. After the meeting with the leader, we go for a
Day 2: Transfer to Melnik stopping at UNESCO sites Boyana Church and the famous Rila
Monastery en route. Free afternoon upon arrival into Melnik.
Day 3: Transfer to Macedonia. After lunch we visit the ancient city of Stobi and
enjoy wine tasting over dinner in a winery of the famous Tikveš wine region.
Day 4: Drive to Bitola to visit the archaeological site of Heraclea and enjoy a
walking tour of the city with free time in the evening.
Day 5: Pelister NP walk, Beekeepers farm and lunch in Dihovo, transfer to Lake Ohrid
via Lake Prespa and Galičica NP.
Day 6: A full day in Ohrid, a UNESCO World Heritage city. Dinner in a family home in
Day 7: Transfer to Kosovo via Tetovo and Šar Planina NP. Lunch in Varvara and a
walking tour in Prizren.
Day 8: Visiting the UNESCO’s Gračanica Monastery before arrival to Skopje, the
capital of Macedonia, followed by a walking tour of the city.
Day 9: Osogovo monastery visit while transferring back to Sofia for a city tour and
a farewell dinner.
Day 10: End Sofia.
- 9 nights comfortable hotels, all rooms en suiteGroup normally 4 to 14, plus leader. Min 16 yrs.Travel by private air-conditioned minibus ,All breakfasts, 3 lunches and 2 dinnersAll accommodationTransfers for group flights
- Any international flights to/from Sofia are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Balkan Explorer tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 129 today.
- Earn US$ 86+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Balkan Explorer tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 29 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 29 September 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Balkan Explorer tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Balkan Explorer tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.