- duration 15 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 14+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Lake Ohrid Enjoy a truly stunning lake and mountain setting; tour the historical buildings situated around the lake
- Rila Monastery Spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Site with its brightly coloured frescoes
- Matka Gorge Experience the natural wonder of Matka Gorge; chance for a boat trip
- Sofia Old town sightseeing
Travel through Bulgaria, Greece and North Macedonia to uncover the stunning and varying scenery in the lost empire of Alexander the Great. This trip is ideal for those interested in ancient history and contrasting cultures. Lake Ohrid - Explore the monasteries around the lake, town of Ohrid and admire the dramatic mountain backdrop Rila Monastery - See the distinctive architecture and brightly coloured frescoes at this UNESCO World Heritage Site Pella - Discover the birthplace of Alexander the Great with its mosaics depicting mythological scenes.
Day 1 : Join trip in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria
Day 2 : Sofia city tour; stay overnight in a Macedonian monastery
Day 3 : Explore Kratovo and Skopje including Kale Fortress
Day 4 : Excursion to the dramatic Matka Gorge with the chance for a boat trip
Day 5 : Scenic drive to Lake Ohrid via Mavrovo National Park
Day 6 : Guided walking tour of Ohrid; afternoon relaxing by the lake
Day 7 : Free day in Ohrid with the chance to visit Albania
Day 8 : Visit to Saint Naum Monastery en route to Pelister National Park
Day 9 : Visit the birthplace of Alexander the Great and UNESCO Listed Vergina (Greece)
Day 10 : Explore Thessaloniki on foot with a local guide; free afternoon in the city
Day 11 : Drive to Kavala via Halkidiki Peninsula; boat trip to Mount Athos
Day 12 : Excursion to Thassos Island to explore or relax on the beach
Day 13 : Explore historical Philippi; drive to Bansko (Bulgaria)
Day 14 : Discover the beautiful Rila Monastery; free afternoon in Sofia
Day 15 : Trip ends in Sofia, Bulgaria
- 14 Breakfast, 1 Dinner
- 13 nights comfortable hotel
- 1 night comfortable monastery
- Bus, Boat, Ferry
- Explore Tour Leader, Boat Crew, Driver(s), Local Guide(s)
- Any international flights to/from Sofia are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Ancient Macedonia tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 98 today.
- Save US$ 65+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Ancient Macedonia tour. You can cancel the tour up to 60 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 59 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 186 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 59 days before departure. For any departures within 26 April 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Ancient Macedonia tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ancient Macedonia tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.