- duration 3.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Discover the fascinating world of hawker centres in Singapore
- Experience the charm of traditional Chinatown in the heart of cosmopolitan Singapore
- Feast on typical goodies like rice cakes, poh piah (fresh spring roll), chicken rice, and more
- Learn all about the origins of Singapore’s diverse Chinatown neighbourhood and how the early migrants came to live there
Ever wondered what the food culture in Singapore is like? Or perhaps why Singaporeans calls their Chinatown ‘Niu Che Sui’? Or just what the heck a hawker centre is anyway?! Join this Singapore food tour through Chinatown to leave no stone, rice cake, or poh piah unturned and to learn all about one of the most unique neighbourhoods in Singapore.
Your Singapore food fest will begin at the Chinatown complex, the largest hawker centre in Singapore, with over 220 stalls. With all those options, you may feel a little overwhelmed, but you’ll have a knowledgeable local by your side to show you the ropes.
Your guide will introduce you to the hawker centre and help you pick out some of the most authentic, tasty Singaporean treats. Savour the famous chicken rice along with delicious poh piah (fresh spring roll). Then try some mouth-watering local Chinese delights such as chwee kueh (water rice cake) with freshly crushed, ice cold sugar cane juice.
While you chow down on your food, your local guide will be sharing with you some Singapore history, information about the city’s rich culture, and some local know-how on how this food is prepared. You’ll also learn how hawker centres came to be, and why this tradition is so close to the Singaporeans’ hearts. This tour is interactive – we encourage you to ask your local guide plenty of questions about all that you can see and taste.
After our first dose of deliciousness, we’ll take a stroll through the wet market to explore local food sources. Check out some interesting livestock and fresh ingredients used in our local food. Next, we hit the streets of Chinatown to we continue our Singapore tour. Learn about the history of the early migrants in this area, and how they came to settle and build their lives here. You’ll experience how people from all kinds of places live in harmony in Chinatown as we visit some religious sites dotted along the same street. We take a respite from the outdoor heat with a visit to the air conditioned Urban Redevelopement Authority ( URA ) gallery to understand how the city planners built Singapore from a humble fishing village to a great cosmopolitan city!
After all that exploration, we’ll finish up our Singapore tour with a freshly brewed teh or kopi tarik (pull tea / coffee) and a taste of Singaporean fusion with a tasty roti prata to complete our day tour. While you eat, your tour guide will fill you in on a few final bits of local knowledge, give you an opportunity to ask them any more burning questions you may have, and some tips and tricks for the rest of your time in the magical city of Singapore.
- Local English speaking guide
- Food as referenced in itinerary
- And non-alcoholic drinks. Please note that we may not be able to accommodate some guests with dietary concerns.&Nbsp;The food is provided on a sharing basis and for general consumption only.
- Alcoholic beverages
- additional food
- items of a personal nature
- tips / gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Chinatown Food Adventure tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 22 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 22 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Chinatown Food Adventure tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Chinatown Food Adventure tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Chinatown North East line MRT station (inside the station), outside the ticketing gate next to passenger service office (near Exit A) .Meeting end point :
Chinatown MRT station (NE line)COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.