Looking for available travel experts
Sierra Leone is an undiscovered West African gem whose beauty and touristic potential widely exceed its current rating. The country features verdant rainforests, gorgeous beaches, friendly locals and rich culture. Here, you can enjoy great animal-watching activities, unwind on white sandy beaches lined with palms, tour historic sites in Freetown and more. Furthermore, you may encounter some rare animal species that inhabit rainforests and national parks of Sierra Leone.
- Visit port town of Freetown, edged by green hills. You can find marvelous beaches and vibrant markets around and experience great panoramic views of the city from Leicester Peak.
- Join a guided tour of Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary near Freetown and stay overnight. You can observe chimpanzees living in a rainforest there.
- Spend some time on Tiwai Island on the Moa River and see pygmy hippos, a lot of butterflies and rich flora.
- Explore forests and savannas in Outamba-Kilimi National Park. Along the way, you will see antelopes, elephants and various bird species among other wildlife.
- Enjoy spectacular River No 2 Beach near Freetown. Bureh Beach is ideal for surfing, which is about an hour away from Freetown.
- For a bit of adventure, climb 1,945 m high Mount Bintumani. You will traverse plains, cross rope bridges over gorges and scale steep cliffs along the way.
- Discover local culture during your visits to countryside villages throughout Sierra Leone.
- Friendly locals of Sierra Leone will welcome you as an old friend.
- Internet, where available, is slow. You can find internet in good hotels and internet cafes in Freetown and some other towns. USB internet sticks provide better service.
- ATMs are available in Freetown and other main cities. You should exchange your money at official exchange offices and banks. Some hotels, restaurants and shops in Freetown accept credit cards.
- Pick pocketing is the most common crimes against tourists.
- Don’t display valuables in public and avoid staying alone after dark.
- Have personal medical supplies with you since only basic medical service is available outside Freetown.
- Drink only bottled or boiled water.