- Bicycle tour
- duration 9 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 15
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Exploring the renowned cities of Siena and Rome
- Admiring the sunset over Lake Bolsena
- Cycling on the old Via Cassia and to ancient Etruscan roads
- Discovering the thermal pool in Bagno Vignoni, the amphitheatre of Sutri, and the pilgrim district in Viterbo
The final stage of the Via Francigena from the impressive town of Siena, through picture-perfect landscapes, to the Eternal City of Rome. As you cycle this section of the Via Francigena you will feel like you're cycling in a postcard. Each day you will marvel at the passing scenery - from the vineyards and rolling hills of Tuscany, to the fascinating villages of Umbria, to the beauty of Lake Bolsena, and finally the magnificent Eternal City of Rome. Beginning in the historic town of Siena you will cross the Val d’Arbia and the Val d’Orcia, both icons of the Tuscan landscape. You will continue to Bagno Vignoni, with its enormous thermal pool in the centre of the square, and Radicofani, whose fortress dominates southern Tuscany. As you make your way towards Rome you will be amazed by the beauty of Lake Bolsena, and charmed by the ancient paving stones of the Via Cassia, still intact after 2000 years. You will be enchanted by the medieval center of Viterbo, which has an entire district dedicated to the pilgrim. You will cycle to the ancient Etruscan roads and to the Roman amphitheatre of Sutri. The last cycle day brings you along a beautiful cycle path straight into the heart of Rome, to your final destination of St. Peter's Square. You will also be able to appreciate the true Italian flavours, sampling delicacies of the vineyards of the Brunello di Montalcino, the cheese produced in the zones of the cacio di Pienza, and the famed extra-virgin olive oil produced between Bolsena and Montefiascone.
Day 1 : Arrive Siena
Day 2 : Cycle to San Quirico d'Orcia past vineyards and fortified towns (54km/33.5mi)
Day 3 : Enjoy fabulous views of the Val D’Orcia enroute to Radicofani (37km or 42km/23 or 26mi)
Day 4 : Cycle along the old Via Cassia to Lake Bolsena (55km/34mi)
Day 5 : Continue through woods and olive groves to Viterbo (33km/20.5mi)
Day 6 : Cycle to Sutri and its Roman amphitheatre (38km/23.5mi)
Day 7 : Continue to Formello past the Mount Gelato waterfalls and Veio Nature Park (34km/21mi)
Day 8 : Final stage across the countryside of Lazio to Rome (34km/21mi)
Day 9 : Trip concludes in Rome
- 8 nights in charming B&Bs and 3 star hotels (hotel taxes extra, payable locally - allow €10)
- Information pack including route notes and maps per room booked, plus app to download and navigate the route
- 8 breakfasts, 2 dinners
- Luggage transfer from day 2 to day 8 (max 1 piece per person) - excess charges apply
- Emergency hotline
- Hybrid 21 speed rental bike with front bag map holder, odometer, pannier, lock, repair kit and helmet
- Bike theft insurance
- Pilgrim passport
- Travel to Siena and from Rome
- Lunches and dinner daily (except dinner on day 3 and 6) and all beverages
- Entrance fees to museums, parks and archaeological sites
- Items of a personal nature
- Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
- Travel insurance
- Hotel taxes (allow €14)
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 90 today.
- Earn US$ 60+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cycle the Via Francigena - Siena to Rome tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 06 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 06 May 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cycle the Via Francigena - Siena to Rome tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cycle the Via Francigena - Siena to Rome tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be implemented during transportation and followed on the accommodation premises as well.