- duration 10 hours
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 17+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Sample delicious Iranian flatbreads and find out why this treat is a staple in the local diet
- Learn how locals make Shirazi faloodeh, or glass noodle ice cream
- Visit a pastry bakery specialising in Shirazi yukheh, a yummy treat with coconut and pistachios
- Go shopping in the city market for local ingredients and learn about the traditions behind Persian cuisine
This full-day food tour is the ultimate culinary adventure! You’ll shop the local bazaar, sample traditional Iranian treats, then put your cooking skills to the test as you learn to make authentic Persian dishes — that you’ll then get to eat yourself, of course!
Get ready for the greatest food experience in Shiraz!
We’ll gather in front of Hafez’s tomb and meet and greet one another before heading off on a morning feast in the streets of Shiraz! We’ll hop into a taxi and start our Shiraz food tour with a visit to two different traditional bakeries: one for breads, one for pastries.
There are more than 40 types of breads in Iran, from very dark to very light, from crisp to soft. The four most common breads in Iran are lavash, taftun, sangak, and barbari, and no Iranian meal is complete unless served with at least one type of flatbread. You’ll learn all about these delicious carbs and we’ll stop at a bakery to see sangak, a fresh yeast bread, baked on hot stones — then eaten while still warm.
Next up, we’ll visit a pastry bakery for Shirazi Yukheh, a thin savoury pastry often flavoured with ground coconut and pistachios, before heading off to see how we make the local Shirazi noodle ice cream, faloodeh — a soothing refreshment on a hot day!
Filled up with Persian treats and snacks, you’ll finish off your Persian foodie adventure with a wander through the atmospheric Vakil Bazaar, where you’ll learn about the many different types of spices and herbs used in Persian cuisine.
Then, it’s time to turn all that knowledge into some hands-on experience! We’ll wander through the bazaar and do some shopping to prepare for the fabulous cooking experience you’re about to have!
You’ll shop among locals, buying from locals, and experience what it’s like to grocery shop as an Iranian. As you shop, you also have the option to pick up extra goods, so that we can prepare extra meals to donate to homeless people in the community after your class — a generous gift to those in need in Shiraz.
Iranian cuisine includes a wide variety of dishes, ranging from kebabs to stews, as well as soups, salads, pastries, and traditional beverages iconic to different parts of Iran. We’ll learn to cook two mains and a dessert, with our personal chef giving you step-by-step instructions on how to prepare local dishes. You’ll learn about the key ingredients, the spices that are needed, and local culinary customs, all to make our meals as authentic as possible!
Then, best of all, we’ll eat what we’ve made! You’ll dig in (in traditional Iranian style, meaning with your hands) and enjoy a delicious meal altogether, as new friends in Shiraz!
Finally, you’ll finish off your food tour with the opportunity to do some good. If you had chosen to make extra food, we’ll donate it to underprivileged locals on our way back from the cooking class. We may stop along the way, or your driver can take the dishes to a local charity centre.
- Light lunch
- Transportation by taxi
- Local English-speaking guide and chef
- Cooking class.
- Ingredients for your cooking class
- additional food and drinks
- tips/gratuities for your guide and chef.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Total Taste of Persia tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
Full payment of 133 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Total Taste of Persia tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Total Taste of Persia tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
In front of the main entrance of the Tomb of Hafez. Your guide will be holding a sign with the Urban Adventures logo and will take you to the market, where you’ll meet your guide.Meeting end point :
Tomb of HafezCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.