- duration 6.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 13+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Be enchanted by the elegant lyrics of Hafez, and learn the meanings behind his famous Persian poems
- Visit a setar workshop and learn how this traditional musical instrument is made by hand
- Lose yourself in another world as you listen to the relaxing sounds of classical Persian music
- Delight in home cooked Iranian delicacies and dishes with a local family
Calling all musicians, poets, and dreamers, this Shiraz tour was made for you! Learn about one of Iran’s most important poets whose words are still honoured today, then visit a traditional setar craftsman. Finish it all off with a visit to a local family for a total immersion in Iranian culture!
If a day spent with poetry, music, and food sounds like the perfect day to you, then look no further than this tour!
Our Shiraz tour will begin at the Tomb of Hafez, where we’ll briefly introduce ourselves and get to know each other a bit. After all the niceties, we’ll enter the tomb and your guide will tell you all about the life and impact of Hafez, one of Iran’s most famous poets. The tomb itself has a tranquil atmosphere and an eye-catching garden, where you can escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Here, locals gather to read and discuss the wisdom, meanings, and even sorcery found in Hafez’s writings.
You’ll be able to enjoy traditional Iranian music being played at the tomb, while local families and couples walk around the garden reading and reciting some of Hafez’s famous works. Meanwhile, tucked away in the corners of this peaceful environment, local children of all ages attend classes where they read and discuss some of Hafez’s poems. We’ll be able to join them in experiencing Persian poetry, as we take in the joy and elegance of Hafez’s lyrics.
Note that the poetry readings will be in Farsi, without an English translation; however, your tour guide will provide a translation and explanation in English after the class/recitation is finished.
After a magnificent experience in the tomb, we’ll travel by taxi to a local workshop where they make the setar: a traditional Persian musical instrument. The setar master craftsman will show us how he makes the instruments by hand, before inviting us to enjoy his artistic performance of traditional Iranian music.
We’ll then make our way to a contemporary Iranian family home where we’ll join a local family for lunch. We’ll get to dive into a delicious Persian feast, made up of dishes that are rarely served in restaurants. We’ll end our tour with a steaming cup of Persian tea — good for the stomach, and good for the soul!
Please note that it is Iranian custom to bring a small token of thanks when you are a guest in someone’s home, and it will be greatly appreciated by the hosting family. (If it’s possible, bring something small from your country — the more personal the better!)
- Lunch with a local family
- Public transportation fees
- Local English-speaking guide
- Entrance fee to Hafez’s tomb
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- tips/gratuities for your guide
- gift for the local host family.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this The Sounds of Shiraz tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 04 December 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 04 December 2020, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
The Sounds of Shiraz tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this The Sounds of Shiraz tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
The main entrance of the Tomb of Hafez. Your guide will have a sign with the Urban Adventures logo on it.Meeting end point :
Tomb of HafezCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.