- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- age_requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore the colourful history and spectacular views of Santo Domingo with a local guide by your side
- Take a walk around the UNESCOlisted Zona Colonial, where you’ll see many of the city’s most remarkable landmarks
- Admire the first cathedral, castle, university and monastery in the New World
- Stroll through local neighborhoods and discover lovely cafes, local bakeries art galleries and local artisans
If you are visiting Santo Domingo for the first time, this tour is especially for you! Enjoy an action-packed, three-hour introduction to the buzzing capital of the Dominican Republic, the oldest settlement in the Americas. As the modern face of the island with a population of over two million, there is far more to Santo Domingo than its fascinating colonial history. The city's heartbeat is loud and fast, propelled by everything from chaotic traffic and friendly street vendors to the beats of merengue and bachata music.
Prepare to discover a different side to the Caribbean as we take you on a whistle stop tour of Santo Domingo’s many historic and cultural highlights.
Your local guide will explain about the city’s history, nature and vibrant culture. Together we will marvel at the many ‘first’ buildings that are scattered across Santo Domingo; the first convent in the Americas, the first hospital, the first restaurant and so on.
We’ll walk through hidden alleys and stop for a freshly brewed coffee and we’ll head to El Conde Street to meet some local artisans.
Then we’ll check out the neighborhood of San Miguel and meet some of the friendly locals that live here. We’ll taste delicious traditional Dominican treats at an old bakery and then we’ll savour a frozen beer surrounded by the stunning ruins of an old monastery.
Our last cultural stop will be at the stunning renaissance-style National Pantheon. Our tour will finish with a walk along the Calle El Conde and a stop at Columbus Park. Here we will leave you to explore the rest of our buzzing city.
Don’t forget to ask your local guide for restaurant tips and a few more sightseeing recommendations, there is always plenty to eat, see and drink on our gorgeous island!
- Local English-speaking guide
- Bottle of beer or water.
- Additional food or drinks
- transportation to and from the meeting/end points
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- items of a personal nature and tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Santo Domingo City of Firsts tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Santo Domingo City of Firsts tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Santo Domingo City of Firsts tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Plaza Pellerano Castro esquina, Calle Isabel La Católica & Calle Arzobispo Portes, Santo Domingo 10210Meeting end point :
Parque Colon (Columbus Park).COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.