- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Get to know the history and culture of the DR on a tour that showcases the best shopping the island has to offer
- Find out why Dominican cigars are considered some of the world’s best and see the painstaking process of handrolling
- Admire the gorgeous Larimar, a brilliant blue precious stone that can only be found on the island
- Discover colourful paintings, Caribbean motifs, handmade crafts and Dominican music
If you only have a short time in Santo Domingo and you want to discover the best products that the island has to offer, then book this tour. Join our local guide for a stroll around the old town and discover rum distilleries, cigar factories, art galleries, chocolatiers, traditional handicraft stores and one-of-a-kind jewellery-makers. As you taste, admire and try on our famous Dominican products, you will learn more about the island’s fascinating history and culture. And the best thing? All the products are at factory prices, so you’ll save a bundle on your souvenir shopping!
Our shopping tour begins in Santo Domingo’s Colonial District, where we will take you back in time at the Amber Museum. You’ll learn about how this precious stone is made and view the museum’s unique collection of Dominican amber, said to be the most transparent in the world. We’ll also see one of the island’s most exquisite and coveted exports, the Larimar. This beautiful blue stone is only found in the Dominican Republic. It is said to resemble the colour of the Caribbean Sea and is a classic source of inspiration for Dominican jewellers.
The Caribbean is famous for its rum and Dominican rum is up there with the best of them. Our next stop is a distillery where you’ll have the opportunity to learn about the history of every pirate’s favourite tipple, see the production process for yourself, taste the finished product and buy a bottle if you wish.
Our discovery of local products continues with a stop to appreciate the many varieties of traditional sweets and candies made locally. You can pick up a traditional Dominican dessert here, if you’d like.
As we stroll through the narrow, colonial streets we will arrive at one of the biggest art galleries in the country. Here you’ll learn about our colourful paintings, wooden handicrafts, musical instruments, merengue and bachata music. The gift shop is a souvenir hunter’s nirvana!
Our next stop is a cigar factory store to learn why the Dominican Republic is famous for its fine, handmade cigars. If you like, buy one as a gift for friends back home — an original present from your travels.
A journey through the most famous products of the Dominican Republic would not be complete without a chocolate experience! Find out why Dominican cocoa is considered some of the world’s best and discover the chocolate-making process, from farm to factory. You have the option to have a go at making your own chocolate here (please note there is an additional cost). The finest Dominican chocolate gift store that offers sumptuous products at factory prices await those who want to cut out the middleman and get on with consuming all that cocoa-y goodness.
After our Made in Santo Domingo tour ends, don’t forget to ask your local guide for tips on which restaurants to visit and which secret local spots to discover.
- Local English-speaking guide.&Nbsp;
- Chocolate-making experience fee
- food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Made In Santo Domingo Shopping Tour tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 23 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 23 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Made In Santo Domingo Shopping Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Made In Santo Domingo Shopping Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Plaza Pellerano Castro esquina, Calle Isabel La Católica & Calle Arzobispo Portes, Santo Domingo 10210Meeting end point :
Corner of El Conde Street and Las Damas Street.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.