- duration days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ yrs
- Witness some of the largest wildlife colonies found anywhere on Earth
- Outstanding wildlife observation on shore, Zodiac cruising and from the ship
- Visits to historic sites and science stations
- Travel on a small expedition vessel
Antarctica and remote islands of the South Atlantic are home to some of the largest wildlife colonies found anywhere on Earth. On the dark sand beaches and in the tussock covered dunes of South Georgia, King penguin colonies contain more than 100,000 adult birds and their young. To the south, in the remote Weddell Sea region of Antarctica, we find Adelie penguin rookeries of a similar size and scale. These ‘mega colonies’ are the focus of this unique voyage – a world first in Polar expedition travel.In March 2018, scientists from the esteemed Stony Brook University and their international colleagues announced the discovery of a previously unknown penguin colony, estimated to contain more than a million Adelie penguins. Studying detailed satellite imagery of the remote Danger Islands, researchers visited and confirmed the astonishing find. These islands sit at the remote and little-visited northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula.While the mega fauna colonies are a highlight of this voyage, history can be found at every turn and we visit several important locations containing relics from early exploration and the whaling era. The waters are full of life and we anticipate encounters with both whales and seals. Every day we explore off the ship, in the Zodiac boats and by hiking on shore – all in the company of expert guides who interpret and educate us about our fantastic surroundings. We invite you to join us on what promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime voyage.
Day 1: Fly Santiago, Chile to Stanley, Falkland Islands and embark
Day 2-3: At Sea - towards South Georgia
Day 4-6: Exploration of South Georgia
Day 7-9: At Sea - towards Antarctica
Day 10-12: Danger Islands & the Weddell Sea
Day 13-15: South Shetland Islands & the Gerlache Strait
Day 16-17: Crossing the Drake Passage
Day 18: Disembark and end in Ushuaia
- All accommodation
- All transport and listed activities
- We can include flights from the UK. Please contact us for a quote.
- 17 nights on the ship
- Expedition cruising in comfortable conditions
- All meals while on the ship
- Full complement of qualified Expedition Staff
- Any international flights to Santiago and from Ushuaia are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Falkland Islands, South Georgia & Antarctica - Mega Colonies tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Falkland Islands, South Georgia & Antarctica - Mega Colonies tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 0 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 61 days before departure. For any departures within 01 December 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Falkland Islands, South Georgia & Antarctica - Mega Colonies tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Falkland Islands, South Georgia & Antarctica - Mega Colonies tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.