There are not many places in the world where you can ski down a snow slope and sun yourself on a beach all in the same day. Santiago de Chile is one of those places. Embraced by the Andes from the east and the Cordillera of the Coast from the west, with the Pacific Ocean in close proximity, a trip to Santiago will introduce you to rugged natural beauty. At the heart of Chile’s central valley lies its cosmopolitan center of culture and commerce. Head out from Centro and explore the distinct neighbourhoods that offer their own take on Chilean life. Both sophisticated and eccentric, a visit to Santiago has something to offer every kind of traveller.
- Santiago’s Parque Metropolitano, also known as Cerro San Cristobal, is an urban park that offers panoramic views of the city below.
- Fashionistas should head to Museo de la Moda where stunning collections of western designers are exhibited.
- Bookworms will be delighted with the Biblioteca Nacional’s stained-glass windows, sweeping ceilings and, of course, one of the oldest collections in Chile.
- Visit Santiago’s Sky Costanero — the tallest building in Latin America. The viewpoint creates a breathtaking vista of the city.
- Stroll through Plaza de Armas, and neighbouring squares, which has been considered the heart of Santiago since its founding. Street performers put on weekend shows.
- Patio Bellavista is a chic spot for lunch or some souvenir shopping.
- La Vega Central is the place to buy local produce and savour the sweet flavours of Santiago.
- Mercado Central is also a foodie haven, offering some of the freshest seafood around.
- Santiago has an excellent metro system to help you get around the various neighbourhoods.
- Most tourist attractions can be reached by using Metro Line 1 (red).
- Santiago is safe by Latin American standards, but beware of pickpockets and other tourist scams.
- Haggling is not a common practice in Santiago.
- There are many cheap accommodation options in Santiago from hostels to hotels that often include breakfast and Wi-Fi.
For more trips, check out our Chile tours page.