- Food tour
- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Discover the secrets behind handicrafts, herbal remedies, and fresh produce at Borbon and San Jose Central Market
- Become a mixologist of natural Costa Rican drinks and an expert on more than 30 local exotic fruits and vegetables
- Savor several tasty seasonal samplings of Costa Rica as well as its famous organic coffee
- See a side of San Jose known only by locals and not found in guidebooks
Unmask the beauty and culture of contemporary Costa Rican life on this San Jose walking tour that takes you through the busy streets, bustling markets, and tranquil parks. Discover a side to this city only heard from the mouths of locals, while indulging in typical cuisine and one of Costa Rica’s most delectable exports – coffee.
Get your cameras ready because you don’t want to miss a single moment of this colourful local experience. On this San Jose tour you’ll get up close and personal with Costa Rican life, through local food, history, and even the herbal remedies of folk medicine. Enjoy a hands-on lesson on exotic plants, fruits, vegetables, and the smoothies they can create in the midst of the vibrant city markets. Nothing could get you closer to authentic San Jose than strolling through the streets with a local as they show you the ins and outs of daily life. Take a wander through the city with us on this tour that takes typical San Jose and turns it into a local experience you’ll never forget.
Your San Jose food tour starts with a morning pick-me-up cup of coffee in a café located in the Borbons market where you’ll get to know your guide and relax into your surroundings. From here, we’ll take a stroll through the vibrant market, tasting local fresh fruits while learning about the agricultural history of the area. We’ll visit a number of stands, from a coffee stand to learn the Costa Rican chorreado brewing method to a local folk medicine stand where we’ll learn about curing everything from a hangover to a broken heart. Coffee and markets play a very important role in the history of San Jose and you’ll get the inside scoop on what they mean to the city and its citizens.
Your San Jose market tour continues along local roads towards the Central Market. Seeing the diverse sites of these markets will help you get to know the country and its rich history and on this tour, you’ll be another sense – taste – to get more in tune with San Jose. There’s no better place to experience local cuisine than the Central Market, a 120-year old building full to the brim with typical Costa Rican food and drink. Here you can sample local delicacies, learn about the herbs used in local medicines, or simply sip on your second rich and smooth Costa Rican coffee of the day. The Central Market is an experience that no visitor the San Jose should miss, and with a local guide by your side you’ll unearth all the secrets behind this San Jose treasure.
The Central Market will be the last stop on this San Jose tour, and by the end you’ll be full of local knowledge (and perhaps even some local lingo!), giving you the full San Jose experience that is sure to be a highlight of your time in this vibrant city.
- Local English speaking guide
- Food samples.
- Food and drink other than specified above
- items of a personal nature
- tips / gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this San Jose Bites and Sights Tour tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date -full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 25 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 25 September 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
San Jose Bites and Sights Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this San Jose Bites and Sights Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Front entrance of the National Theatre, Avenida 2, calle1, Catedral, San José, Costa RicaMeeting end point :
Central Avenue, San JoseCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.