- Food tour
- City sightseeing
- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Starts/Ends San Jose, Costa Rica
- Visit the legendary Porras Bakery Don Fernando and chat with its charismatic owner, better known by the locals as ‘Nando’
- Walk the spiritual route of churches and learn the rich local history of Catholicism
- Experience the lively atmosphere of the Central Market, and ride like a local about public transport
- Visit a legendary masquerade family, renowned for their traditional Costa Rican masks
Unmask the beauty of contemporary Costa Rican life on this walking tour of San Jose and Escazu. Get the low down on some of Costa Rica's local legends, freshest food and rustic restaurants on this San Jose tour that has you walking in holy footsteps and riding public transport for the ultimate insiders experience!
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Setting off from the beautiful National Theatre Building, you’ll instantly fall in love with San Jose’s beauty. Fortunately, this city has so much more to offer, so you still have loads to look forward to! Together we’ll stroll the ‘route of the churches’ passing historical churches like the Cathedral and La Merced and your guide will fill you in on the history behind the graffiti that you’ll see along the way, giving you a taste of contemporary Costa Rican life.
After our walk through the historical center of San Jose, we’ll board public transport and make our way to one of the oldest cities in Costa Rica, Escazu, known for its spooky witch-related folklore. On our way to the city of the witches, you’ll spot La Sabana Metropolitan Park, which used to be the San Jose international airport.
Full of knowledge, secrets, and inspiration, we’ll shift gears to delicious, authentic Costa Rican cuisine. We’ll venture to a 100-year-old restaurant that’s known for its traditional fare, and where you’ll get a real taste of Costa Rica, with a choice of over 20 different Costa Rican tapas! After lunch, we’ll taste chicha, a traditional local drink that has been enjoyed for hundreds of years. Our beverage will also prepare us for one of the coolest local traditions: Costa Rican masks and masquerade, and we’re taking you straight to the legends. We’ll pay a visit to a legendary local master’s house, where three generations of the same family have been making some of the country’s most beautiful masks for celebrations and special holidays. Here we’ll be privy to his creative genius, and he’ll let us in on the family’s secrets for making Costa Rica’s most famous masks.
By the end of this San Jose tour, you’ll feel so much like a local, we bet you’ll be speaking Costa Rican Spanish and everything!
- Local Transportation
- Local English speaking guides
- Traditional Costa Rican Tapas
- Mazquarade Show
- Chicha drink
- Cup of organic coffee.
- Transportation to and from meeting point
- food and drink other than specified above
- souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- beverages and alcoholic drinks
- tips / gratuities for the guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: San Jose Tapas, Traditional Masks and Escazu Visit tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 17 April 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 17 April 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: San Jose Tapas, Traditional Masks and Escazu Visit tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: San Jose Tapas, Traditional Masks and Escazu Visit tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Main entrance of the National Theatre (Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica), at 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street, San Jose.Meeting end point :
Escazu Central Park, near the taxi rankLonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.