- Cook Costa Rican food and share a meal with a home cook
- Dive into the world of Costa Rican food
- Sample some of the best tropical juices of Costa Rica
- Meet and interact with local in their home
This local food experience is about as authentic as you can get.This tour aims to give you one of the richest travelling experiences you can ever have: the opportunity to enjoy a meal with a family in a local home.
Costa Rica is known for its amazing nature, but there’s a lot more to be discovered in this wonderful country, particularly relating to its culinary expereinces. Fortunately for you, we know just where you can find the most authentic culinary experience in San Jose, and you’re not going to find it anywhere else!
Our ‘home cooked’ experience in San Jose takes you to a local family’s home to join them for mealtime, cooking, laughing, and eating alongside them, just as they do on any other night. This is more than a unique local experience – it’s hands down one of the most authentic things to do in San Jose. More than a meal, this is a dining experience in a family home in Escalante, where you’ll learn about local culture, taste authentic food, and make new friends.
Meet your local guide at the National Stadium in San Jose, by Sabana Park, and togther you’ll make your way to your host’s house. En route, your local guide will give you the information on what to expect for the evening, before being welcomed into the host’s home.
As dinner is being prepared, your local guide and the family members will provide information on the lifestyles of Costa Ricans, the traditions of home life, the importance of family, and dish on food, history, and culture in Costa Rica.
You’ll have the chance ot learn how to make tortillas, and when we sit down to dinner, you can choose to do it “Costa Rican Style” and eat with your hands, doing what we call ‘gallos’, which is putting food in the tortillas. Our hosts and local guide will be more than happy to anwer your questions on the dishes provided, the ingredients, and how best to eat them. Your meal will be a traditional, authentic home-cooked meal, using 100% Costa Rican ingredients, and we promise, it’ll be downright tasty. The meal will also be accompanied by special drinks or wine, depending on what fits for the evening.
After saying goodbye and thank you to our hosts, your local guide will assist you with getting a taxi back to your hotel, or if you want to hang out in the area, they can point you to some of the best spots in the neighbourhood.
- Professional english and spanish speaking guide
- Dinner and drinks with a local family in their home.
- Some hosts might provide tea
- A soft drink
- Or even alcohol with meals as per the local custom. however
- It should not be expected and does not form part of the base home cooked experience. we recommend you bring drinking water with you for the duration of this experience. transportation between your hotel and the meeting point is not included. if you elect to catch a taxi back to your accommodation after the experience this is at your own expense. no gratuity is included.
Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge so long as they eat from their parents' meals. Please note that a special, separate meal will not be prepared for them. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.