- duration 2.5 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Discover the hidden gems of Chinatown and the Beatniks of North Beach
- Make your own fortune cookie while listening to traditional music on a Chinese twostringed instrument called the erhu
- Sample authentic, traditional Chinese pastries
- Learn about the powers of traditional Chinese tea during a tea tasting with a tea master
Come explore where east meets west, fortunes are told with more sincerity than your average cookie, and the legends of masters live on. Between the Beatniks of North Beach and San Francisco’s iconic Chinatown, we’ll give you a taste of teas, temples, and culture, all with a local flare.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
San Francisco is famous for its colorful neighborhoods and interesting residents, and here’s your chance to experience first-hand two of its best neighborhoods. Immerse yourself in the cultural and aesthetic contrasts between one of the largest and oldest Chinese communities outside of Asia, and the European charm of the Beatniks birthplace, North Beach.
On this San Francisco tour we’ll explore both Chinatown and North Beach, where the exotic East borders the birthplace of the Beat Generation culture. Spend a few hours with your local guide discovering places you never knew existed, whether down unassuming alleys or in plain sight!
Starting at the beautiful Chinatown Gate, your local guide will lead you through the bustling streets of this vibrant area. Learn about the history of this Chinese community during San Francisco's gold rush, as well as America's train building boom. Stop in at one of Chinatown’s oldest bakeries for an authentic mooncake pastry - the traditional Chinese delicacies served here are so good even former President Bill Clinton has stopped in to try one!
From here, we’ll make our way over to Waverly Place to visit the acclaimed oldest Chinese temple in America, where you’ll have your fortune read as the smell of incense fills the air in this picturesque historic temple. Moving on, weave your way between performing street artists to taste fortune cookies hot off the press (and see if this fortune matches the one from the temple!). We’ll then wash down all these sweet treats with an in-depth tea tasting session where you will learn about the different types and flavors of traditional Chinese tea.
Next, it’s on to North Beach to see the famous hangouts of Beat poets Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsburg, like the City Lights Bookstore, which still publishes the works of local poets in San Francisco. Get a feel for North Beach and the vibe of Little Italy as you wind your way through the cute shops and cafes of the Barbary Coast.
We’ll finish up our San Francisco walking tour at the gorgeous Washington Square Park, adjacent to excellent Italian restaurants, Coit Tower, and within easy access to public transport. It’s only been a few hours, but you’ll see – this San Fran tour is jam-packed with the hidden gems of two of San Francisco's most famous neighborhoods…it’s amazing what you can see when you've got a local to show you!
- Local English speaking guide
- Chinese dessert samples
- Tea tasting
- Additional food and drinks
- items of a personal nature
- tips / gratuities for your guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: Teas, Temples, and Beatniks tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 04 December 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 04 December 2020, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: Teas, Temples, and Beatniks tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: Teas, Temples, and Beatniks tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Chinatown Gate, at the corner of Grant Ave and Bush StMeeting end point :
Washington SquareLonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.