- duration 2.5 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- age_requirement 6+ yrs
- Explore San Diego’s most historic neighbourhood
- Gain a unique insight into Mexican culture in the region by exploring the Old Town’s adobes, shops, and church
- Take a short hike up Presidio Hill to where Europeans first settled over 250 years ago.
- Sample handmade tortillas from authentic tortilla makers and try authentic street tacos
Get a taste of Mexico in San Diego's most historic neighbourhood! Explore the origins of the birthplace of California and find hidden treasures hiding in plain sight. You will also sample local delicacies such as handmade tortillas and tacos and sip some of the world's best tequilas.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
As the birthplace of California, Old Town San Diego has seen its fair share of history. Today, it's also widely regarded for its restaurants, margaritas and souvenir shops. And we'll get to sample all on this cultural foodie tour!
We'll start our exploration at the Adobe Chapel which served both as a home and church in the 19th century. Then you'll be treated to handmade tortillas, a world-famous dish that dates back to before Columbus landed in North America.
We'll continue the tour and view one of the oldest brick buildings in Southern California, best known for the ghosts who haunt it, and see some wonderful examples of Victorian architecture, including San Diego's first synagogue.
The nourishment from the tortillas will be handy as we start our brief hike to the original European settlement on the West Coast of the U.S. We'll see the outline of some of the 18th century structures and learn about the indigenousness people who were here when the Europeans arrived.
Once back in town we'll visit a hundred-year-old Catholic church, followed by a stroll through a landmark cemetery with graves dating back to the 1850s.
By now you might be thirsty, so we will take a brief walk to a local tequileria boasting a collection of thousands of bottles. Here you will learn about the many different types of tequilas and be treated to a taste of one of the best tequilas in the world. (This sample is included as part of your tour price, but you may instead choose a margarita, beer or another beverage of your choice).
We'll bid adios here, but feel free to linger over another drink, or dig into some great Mexican food. Or, if you want to keep moving, you can continue shopping and exploring this great San Diego neighborhood.
If you’d prefer to travel as part of a regular group experience, please book our Old Town, Tequila & Tortillas group tour
- Local English-speaking guide
- One handmade tortilla
- One shot of tequila
- Chips and salsa and two street tacos.
- Additional food or drink
- personal shopping and gratuities for your guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Private San Diego: Old Town, Tequila & Tortillas tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Private San Diego: Old Town, Tequila & Tortillas tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Private San Diego: Old Town, Tequila & Tortillas tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
3963 Conde St, San Diego, CA 92110. We will meet in front of the Adobe Chapel.Meeting end point :
El Agave Restaurant, 2304 San Diego Ave, San Diego, CA 92110COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.