- Sailing, yachting and motor boating
- Boat tour, water sports and marine wildlife
- duration 8 hours
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 3
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Starts/Ends Samana, Dominican Republic
- Cross the tropical paradise of Samaná Bay on a ferry boat as the locals do
- Discover the caves and admire the intricate wall paintings of the Taino people
- Enjoy a boat ride through the mangrove forest, between the islands of the national park
- Take a refreshing dip in the ocean at a secluded beach only locals know about
Channel your inner Indiana Jones on an extraordinary Caribbean adventure that mixes archeology, caving, boat rides and exotic wildlife. Explore the ancient cave drawings of the Taino people, take a leisurely hike through the rainforest and enjoy a refreshing dip at a secret beach location. To finish things off, we’ll sit down together and enjoy a delicious lunch made up of traditional, local dishes. You will go home safe in the knowledge that, like Indy, you chose your tour wisely…
Your adventure begins as we board the local ferry boat that will escort us on a dazzling journey across the bay from Samana to Sabana de la Mar.
From here we’ll take a ride through the countryside. Your mode of transportation will depend on the number of people in your group. If there are less than 3 of you, we’ll take a motorcycle (locals call it a motoconcho), and for 4 persons or more we’ll hop in the back of a pickup truck as the locals do and enjoy the fresh breeze of the countryside on our faces as we go.
Once we arrive in Caño Hondo, on the outskirts of the National Park, we’ll jump on a traditional boat which will then take us through one of the largest mangrove forests on the island. This forest is a treasure trove of exotic wildlife and as we glide along your guide will chat to you about the environmental significance and importance of these wetlands.
Entering San Lorenzo bay, you will be blown away by the rock formations of Los Haitises National Park, considered to be one of the natural wonders of the Caribbean, comparable to Halong Bay in Vietnam and Viñales in Cuba. Our captain will lead the boat through small rock alleys that only a small boat can access.
We’ll visit the Sand Cave and stop to admire the striking speleothems and petroglyphs hand-carved by the aboriginals. We’ll also spend some time exploring the Line Cave with its countless Taino people pictographs. Here you’ll learn about the culture of the original inhabitants of the Dominican Republic.
Next up, we’ll take you to one of our favourite secluded beaches for a refreshing dip in the Caribbean Sea.
Then we’ll whisk you off for a delicious, traditional lunch at a local restaurant in Sabana de La Mar, a delightful old city full of history, which we’ll talk about over lunch.
After you’re feeling full and satisfied, it’s time to get back on the ferry for more exquisite views of the Bay as we head back to Samana, where your tour ends.
Your guide will be more than happy to help you find your way back to your accommodation. Don’t forget to ask for more tips of what else to see, do and eat during your stay in the Dominican Republic. Make sure you check out our other tours on the island, too!
- Dominican-style lunch.
- Ferry boat fees
- Local transportation
- Local English-speaking guide
- Boat ride to Los Haitises
- Light refreshments during the tour
- National Park entrance fee
- Additional food or drink
- items of a personal nature
- and tips / gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Private Samaná: Bay Expedition tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 22 June 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 22 June 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Private Samaná: Bay Expedition tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Private Samaná: Bay Expedition tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Samaná Malecon. Beside the sea, in front of Calle Duarte.Meeting end point :
Samaná Malecon. Besides de Mirador at the sea, In front of Calle Duarte.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.