- City sightseeing
- National parks
- Train tour
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 20 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- max group size 12
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Discover Russia, Mongolia and China on sample two of the world’s greatest overland journeys – the TransSiberian and TransMongolian railroads.
- Visit some of Intrepid’s local friends in St Petersburg and share some afternoon tea in a unique setting – a Sovietera communal apartment.
- Combine train travel with time to explore cities and villages along the way, including two nights in a homestay with a Russian family near Lake Baikal.
- Immerse yourself in Mongolian wilderness during a night in a ger camp in Terelj National Park, including a locallyguided hike to a Buddhist retreat and a handon dumpling dinner.
Looking for a journey that combines epic train travel with immersive local experiences? Come on board for an adventure through three nations – Russia, Mongolia and China – via the Trans-Siberian Railroad and the Trans-Mongolian Railroad. This 20-day transcontinental odyssey takes you from the opulence of Moscow and St Petersburg to the grace of imperial Beijing. Travel along the most famous railway in the world through the heartland of Siberia and to the vast steppes of Mongolia, discovering classical Russian architecture in Irkutsk and rugged natural beauty in Lake Baikal along the way. With traditional accommodation, authentic local experiences and insider knowledge, this tour showcases overland travel at its best.
Please see https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/travel-alerts for important updates about this trip
St Petersburg / Moscow
Trans Mongolian Train
Terelj National Park
Ulaanbaatar / Overnight Train
- Hotel (10 nights), Overnight Sleeper Train (6 nights), Homestay (2 nights), Tourist Ger Camp (1 night)
- 13 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners
- Overnight Sleeper Train , Private Bus , Public Bus , Metro , Taxi
- An expert tour leader
- St Petersburg - Tea party with local family
- Moscow - Red Square & Lenin's Mausoleum
- Moscow - Kremlin & Armoury Guided Tour
- Pereslavl-Zalessky - Goritsky Monastery
- Pereslavl-Zalessky - Red Square
- Irkutsk - Central Market
- Irkutsk - Angara Icebreaker Museum
- Ulaanbaatar - Zaisan Hill Memorial
- Ulaanbaatar - Gandan Monastery
- Ulaanbaatar - Winter Palace Museum of Bogd Khan
- Terelj National Park
- Terelj National Park - Buuz Cooking class
- Ulaanbaatar - Genghis Khan Monument
- Any international flights to Saint Petersburg and from Beijing are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Trans-Mongolian Experience tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 150+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Trans-Mongolian Experience tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 08 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 08 July 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Trans-Mongolian Experience tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Trans-Mongolian Experience tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip is based around long train journeys, including a four-night trip from Yaroslavl to Irkutsk, an overnight from Irkutsk to Ulaanbaatar and another overnight from Ulaanbaatar to Beijing. This is an authentic experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals. Conditions on the trains are simple but comfortable. There is a toilet/bathroom and compartments with bunks/berths. Please note that we travel 2nd class on all overnight trains (four people per compartment). While we always try to have our groups staying together, there may be times where due to ticket availability the group will be staying in different compartments and carriages. For some more on what train travel in Russia (and around the world) is like, see our blog article here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/overnight-train-travel-around-the-world/
- As well as train travel, you’ll experience a variety of different transport types on this journey including public and private buses, metro and, of course, plenty of exploring on foot.
- We like to do things the local way wherever possible. But sometimes you’ve got to rough it to get amongst it. Some of the accommodation used during this trip is basic, including the nights in tourist ger camps, local guesthouses and homestays. Sometimes facilities are shared and properties may not have hot water. But hey, we think that’s all part of the adventure.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Finish point description
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers