- Visit the best-preserved and least-frequented catacomb: the Catacomb of Santa Priscilla
- Gape at the Capuchin Bone Crypt, a cemetery literally built from the bones
- Descend through time at the Basilica San Clemente
The tour starts in the city’s most interesting (and paradoxically one of the least-visited) catacomb, the Catacomb of Santa Priscilla. This is where ancient Christians were buried when their religion was still outlawed and they were considered enemies of the state. The catacomb contains extraordinary frescoes, miles of creepy tunnels and the world’s oldest depiction of the Virgin Mary. Your expert, guide, hand-picked for knowledge of the catacombs, will lead your small group of 15 people or fewer through these wonderfully historic and atmospheric tunnels, while telling you the story of early Christianity. Large groups simply can’t fit into these areas, so take advantage of this truly unique access.
Next, you’ll head to one of the most singular and spine-tingling sights in Rome, the Capuchin bone crypt. The cemetery festooned with the bones and remains of some 4,000 Capuchin friars is a jaw-dropping display of life and death. Although it might appear macabre, you’ll learn why the monks actually consider the display life-affirming.
Finally, you’ll visit one of Rome’s hidden (literally) treasures. The 12th-century Basilica San Clemente holds not one but two secrets: a 4th-century Basilica beneath it, and a 1st century Mithraic temple beneath that! Mithraism remains one of the unsolved mysteries of ancient Rome, a religion that many powerful people followed but evidence of it exists in almost no historical records. As you descend through the layers of Roman history your expert guide will tell you what we know and what we don’t know about the Mithraic Mysteries and show you the lost, underground stream that almost drove the man who found it insane.
With comfortable, air-conditioned transport throughout, and a small group of 15 people or fewer, your only responsibility is to immerse yourself in the thrills and wonder of underground Rome. Our expert guides have been hand-picked for this experience based on both their knowledge and love of history. They make the perfect escorts through our eeriest and most mysterious tour.
- Transport between sites in an air-conditioned bus
- Admission to all sites
- Expert tour guide
- Hotel Pick-Up/Drop-Off
● Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
● Sites on this itinerary include holy places, and attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Walks of Italy cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress. It is sufficient to bring extra coverings with you and put them on before our entrance to the holy areas.
● Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
● Photography is not allowed in the sites visited on this tour, due to their religious nature.
● Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.