- duration 3.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- See the city from way up high in a building nicknamed “Stalin’s Birthday Cake”
- Explore the Riga Central Market and sample some seasonal produce
- Enjoy the charm of Riga’s Old Town and Art Nouveau District, ticking off all the mustsee sites
- Escape the tourist traps and discover a creative neighbourhood most tourists don’t visit
Explore Riga’s 800 years of history on a walking tour through the city’s districts both old and new. Soak up some of the beautiful architecture, heritage, culture and traditions of the past in Old Town and the Art Nouveau District, then escape to an off-the-tourist-track neighbourhood that really shows off the city’s charm. Then raise a glass to your new favourite city of Riga – a glass that’s filled with locally brewed beer.
Join an expert local guide for a walking tour of Riga that’ll introduce you to the city’s architectural style, historic sights, cultural heritage and local traditions.
Your Riga tour begins with a visit to the Riga Panorama Observation Deck, in a building that holds the nickname of “Stalin’s Birthday Cake” and is one of few sites remaining from Riga’s Soviet past. From this high perch your guide will give you an overview of the city, pointing out places of interest such as Pardaugava, Riga Port, the Central Market and Mezaparks.
Back on ground level, we’ll have a short stroll through Riga’s Moscow district, home to the Ghetto and Latvian Holocaust Museum, and the creative neighbourhood of Spikeri. Our walk will lead us straight to Riga Central Market, where you can experience daily life for Rigans and maybe even taste some seasonal products that are sold here.
Afterwards we’ll walk to the major historical and cultural attractions in Old Riga and the surrounding area. Wander through Town Hall Square to find Blackhead’s House, a stunning Gothic building with a Renaissance façade. Step back in time on Skarnu Street, the Convents yard and Jana yard. There is also plenty of time to see the Latvia National Opera, Livu Square, Cats’ House, The Dome Square, Riga Cathedral and Parliament House. Right before leaving Old Town, we’ll walk around the Monument of Freedom, where Latvians gather to remember those killed in the War of Independence. If you want to find out more about Latvia’s 50 years of occupation, your guide can show you the way to the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia, so you can visit later during your stay.
You’ll also explore the Art Nouveau district, a stunning area with excellent examples of Art Nouveau architecture. This is a great place to grab dinner later, and your guide can help you to arrange for a reservation in one of the charming restaurants in the district. Just ask!
From there, we’ll jump on a bus to reach the final stop of your Riga tour. Your guide will lead you to a creative neighbourhood about a 10-minute drive from the city centre. This area is home to various local business, including small shops, bars and cafés. As well, the famous chocolate Latvian factory Laima is located here. (If you want to visit the shop, just let your guide know.) To finish the tour we’ll grab some delicious locally brewed beer and snacks and chat about any other things you may want to know about Riga for the rest of your stay.
- 1-ride e-ticket for local transport
- Local English speaking guide
- 1 craft beer with snack.
- Entrance fee to observation deck
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- transportation to/from the meeting and end points
- tips/gratuities for your guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Riga Discovery Tour tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
Full payment of 55 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Riga Discovery Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Riga Discovery Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
"Laima" clock near the Monument of Freedom, on the corner of Brīvības blv. and Aspazijas blv.; Aspazijas Blv. 20Meeting end point :
Miera Street Republic. At the junction of Astrida Briana, Tallinas and Miera streets. The tram stop to Old Town is located hereCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.