- Festivals and events
- duration 10 days
- tour type Small group
- max group size 14
- guiding method Fully guided
- Sikh Golden Temple in Amritsar
- Wagah Border ceremony
- Buddhist sites at Dharamsala
- Pragpur & Garli heritage villages
- Toy train to Shimla
- Himalayan Foothills
- Old and New Delhi
- Show more
This 10-day Northern India tour takes you to the foothills of the towering Himalayas and includes a visit to Amritsar’s Sikh Golden Temple and the Buddhist enclave in Mcleodganj, exploring the less-visited heritage visitors and takes you on a scenic mountain railway journey.
This North India tour starts in Amritsar, where you’ll have the chance to visit the Golden Temple twice, giving you the opportunity to participate in a Langar Sevar in a community kitchen. Then, we’ll head to the India & Pakistan border, where we witness the unique Wagah Border ceremony before we head north towards the tiny town of Mcleod Ganj, which is the home of the Tibetan Government in exile, and we’ll get to explore its various Buddhist temples and monasteries.
Our next stop is a visit to the villages of Pragpur and Garli, as we take in its old colonial architecture, before heading up the mountain towards Shimla, with a section of the journey commencing on the Himalayan Queen 'toy train'. You’ll also travel through one of India’s most famous mountain narrow gauge railways and is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You’ll be enthralled by the scenic views along the way as we make our way up hills, underneath bridges and through winding tunnels.
Once you arrive in Shimla, you have some time to explore, hiking and taking cable car rides to temples situated on the hilltops, before we explore the town and make our way back to India’s capital city of Delhi via train and you’ll have the chance to explore its old and new sides before the tour ends.
Day 1 : Welcome to Amritsar - airport to hotel transfer included
Day 2 : A visit to Amritsar’s Golden Temple
Day 3 : A free day in McLeod Ganj
Day 4 : Exploring the Dalai Lama Monastery
Day 5 : Exploring the Heritage Villages of Pragpur & Garli
Day 6 : A Toy Train Ride to Shimla
Day 7 : Exploring Shimla
Day 8 : A train ride to Delhi. Transfer to hotel
Day 9 : Exploring Old and New Delhi
Day 10 : Bon Voyage! Airport transfer included
- All accommodation in mid range hotels and heritage properties
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Transport and transfers in AC vehicles
- Services of a local tour leader and specialist local guides
- Himalayan Queen toy train to Shimla
- Fast train from Chandigarh to Delhi (2nd class AC)
- Sightseeing tours and activities as per the itinerary
- International flights (available on request)
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance (compulsory, available on request)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Drinks, snacks and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Tips for drivers and guides
- Entrance fees (budget USD 40, payable in Amritsar)
- Any other items not mentioned above
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 60+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Golden Foothills tour. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 55 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 March 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 March 2022, a deposit of 250 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 55 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Golden Foothills tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Golden Foothills tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Tours will be reduced to smaller group sizes to protect against COVID-19.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented per local government advice. Frequent disinfection of regularly touched surfaces is highly encouraged. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be ensured in our accommodations and also during transportation.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be recommended to be either fully vaccinated atleast 14 days prior to departure or have taken a negative test (rapid antigen or PCR) within 72 hours of departure.