- Spiritual or religious tour
- Train tour
- Countryside and village visits
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 12 days
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Sikh Golden Temple in Amritsar
- Wagah Border ceremony
- Buddhist sites at Dharamsala
- Pragpur & Garli heritage villages
This 12-day India tour takes you to the edge of the towering Himalayas from Dharamsala to Rishikesh, as we explore some of the most important Hindu, Buddhist and Sikh sites along the way.
We’ll explore some of India’s more remote villages, as we board the Himalayan Queen toy train to Shimla. We’ll start in Amritsar, visiting its Golden Temple and a community kitchen before heading to the foothills of the Himalayas to the Buddhist enclave known as Mcleod Ganj - the home of the Dalai Lama as well as the Tibetan government in exile. While we’re here, we’ll take in the beauty of its monasteries and temples situated atop of its hilltops.
We’ll also take you to the heritage villages of Pragpur and Garli, famous for its colonial-style architecture, before boarding the Himalayan Queen ‘toy train’ as we make our way up through the scenic mountains and countryside, passing through numerous tunnels and villages as we make our way to Shimla.
We’ll then hop on a much faster train to the Hindu pilgrimage site in the ancient city of Haridwar, where we’ll witness pilgrims bathing in the spiritual waters of the River Ganges, before boarding a cableway to the top of a temple which overlooks the flowing river. We’ll take a short drive to Rishikesh, to witness an Aarti ceremony at the Ganges at the Triveni Ghat.
We’ll spend two days in Rishikesh, exploring the banks of the River Ganges via foot and the many places of worship here. Rishikesh’s city centre is also one of India’s most well-known yoga and meditation locations. We also have plenty of free time during which various options are available, including white water rafting, a cooking class, and a wildlife safari in Rajiji National Park.
The India tour finishes with a train journey to India’s capital, Delhi.
Day 1 : Your Indian adventure begins in Amritsar, airport to hotel transfer included
Day 2 : Exploring the Golden Temple
Day 3 : A free day in McLeod Ganj
Day 4 : A visit to the Dalai Lama Monastery and a trip to a waterfall
Day 5 : Exploring the Heritage Villages of Pragpur & Garli
Day 6 : Ride the Toy Train to Shimla
Day 7 : Exploring Shimla
Day 8 : Shimla to Haridwar
Day 9 : From Haridwar to Rishikesh
Day 10 : A walking tour of Rishikesh
Day 11 : Leisure time and optional activities in Rishikesh. Train to Delhi
Day 12 : Back to Delhi. Transfer to airport included
- All accommodation in mid-range hotels and heritage properties
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (11 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 1 dinner)
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Transport and transfers in AC vehicles
- Services of a local tour leader and specialist local guides
- Himalayan Queen toy train to Shimla
- Train from Kalka to Haridwar and Haridwar to Delhi (2nd class AC)
- Sightseeing tours and activities as per the itinerary
- International flights (available on request)
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance (compulsory, available on request)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Drinks, snacks and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Tips for drivers and guides
- Entrance fees (budget USD 52, payable in Amritsar)
- Any other items not mentioned above
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 86+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Foothills & Faiths tour. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 55 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 26 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 26 January 2021, a deposit of 250 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 55 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Foothills & Faiths tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Foothills & Faiths tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Tours will be reduced to smaller group sizes to protect against COVID-19.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented per local government advice. Frequent disinfection of regularly touched surfaces is highly encouraged. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be ensured in our accommodations and also during transportation.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This package trip adheres to protocols which are in line with the recommendations from the World Travel & Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travel’ guidelines.