- Food tour
- duration 6 hours
- tour type Group
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Starts/Ends Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
- Take a foodie expedition through the real flavours of the Dominican Republic at its rural best
- Explore the colourful and lush countryside of Puerto Plata with a local guide by your side
- Try exotic fruits, delicious local street food, chocolate, fruit wine, cheese and lots more!
- Enjoy a delicious Dominican seafood lunch as the locals do
Discover the Dominican Republic through its delicious food on a full-day adventure with a local guide. Explore the sensational Dominican countryside and discover its culinary gems before enjoying a seafood lunch at a traditional restaurant overlooking the ocean. This will be a tasty, fun-filled day you’ll never forget!
We’ll start our food-filled day with energising tropical fruit from a local vendor with the biggest smile in town! The fruit will depend on what’s in season but prepare to be amazed by its exotic flavours and colours. As we eat, your guide will tell you about the typical Dominican fruit breakfast that locals love.
From here, we’ll head over to a delightful community project that produces organic cocoa products, supporting the female workers that are employed there. Here you'll learn about cocoa farming and about the processes that go into making fine organic chocolate, which you will, of course, get to try! You will be equally amazed by the delicious fruit wines they make here too and we thoroughly recommend trying the two together; chocolate and wine is an excellent pairing after all! There are plenty of products here to buy too, all at great prices. They can make wonderful souvenirs or gifts for friends and loved ones.
We’ll continue on to stop at a traditional street food stop that is close to the hearts of many Dominicans: the chicharronera. It’s located in a very rustic place with plenty of atmosphere and here you will sample pork crackling, dried salty pork meat and our Dominican sausage, known as longaniza accompanied by casabe (otherwise known as kassava bread) and a cooling local beer.
After that we’ll take you to try some fresh cheese of the region, including a sample of the oldest and most traditional cheese of the country. We will pair queso de hojas (string cheese) with a much adored molasses bonbon treat, a sweet combination of sugar cane molasses and wheat flour. It’s a combo that’s bound to please cheese fans!
Our food tour will then take us to a popular town that’s well-known for its illustrious seafood restaurants that prepare the fish in the typical Dominican style. We will visit our favourite restaurant and taste a variety of lip-smacking seafood dishes, all of which feature the secret seasoning that Dominican locals love!
After a delicious lunch, we’ll make our way back to Puerto Plata, ending up in the bustling Malecon area, where you can enjoy some much needed relaxation time on the beautiful beach or you could choose to continue your adventure and explore the area. Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay.
- Typical seafood lunch such as arroz con mariscos
- Public transport
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and drink samples: exotic fruit of the season such as banana
- Sour sap
- Sugarcane or papaya
- Fruit wine tasting
- Organic chocolate tasting
- 3 types of cheese tasting
- 1 molasses bonbon
- Longaniza sausage
- Pork crackling and dry pork meat with cassava bread
- Dominican beer
- Conch vinaigrette
- Fried plantains
- Fried sweet potato and fried ripe plantain.&Nbsp;
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide. We can also provide pick-up for an additional fee from Playa Dorada
- Costambar and Puerto Plata city hotels. Please contact us after booking for transfer rates.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Rural Food Adventure tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 14 April 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 14 April 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Rural Food Adventure tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Rural Food Adventure tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
In front of Puerto Plata Urban Adventures. Avenida General Gregorio Luperón, Puerto Plata 57000Look for your UA branded guide in a red t-shirt. Meeting end point :
Trikke/Urban Adventures office. Ave. General Luperon in front of Acapulco Beach.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.