- duration 5 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Take an unforgettable ride in a cable car to the summit of the Isabel de Torres mountain and enjoy swoonworthy panoramas of the coastline, the city and the surrounding tropical rainforest
- Enjoy a memorable Dominicanstyle lunch at our favourite, familyowned local restaurant
- Taste the best rum in the Dominican Republic with not one but FIVE tastings at a popular rum factory
- Visit a cigar factory and learn more about the production of our most famous export over a delicious Mamajuana (rumbased) drink
So you’ve arrived in Puerto Plata and you want to see all its iconic sites in one day? Look no further, we’ve got you covered. Join us for an action-packed five hours that squeezes in a spectacular cable car ride, historic sites and epic views galore, a rum tasting at the best rum factory on the island and a traditional Dominican lunch that will introduce you to the foodie delights of our beautiful country. And there’s plenty more where that came from! If you don’t do anything else on your trip but chill and enjoy the Caribbean vibe, you can still go home safe in the knowledge that you have explored the best of what Puerto Plata has to offer if you join us for this memorable day out!
We’re starting on a high for our first stop — 793 metres high to be exact! Hop on the cable car with your expert local guide and zoom to the summit of the Isabel de Torres mountain. The ride itself provides you with truly astonishing views of the Atlantic Ocean and Puerto Plata City, surrounded by lush green rainforest. This is a great way to get an overview of your surroundings (and snap a few epic pictures for your Instagram account!). Upon reaching the top, we’ll take a stroll through the dreamy cloud forest pathways and spend some time exploring this beautiful national park.
There’s even a Christ the Redeemer statue up here, Rio-style, so of course we’ll stop to toast Him with a local beer, touching the clouds with your hands as they pass by from time to time.
Back on sea level, we’ll hit up one of the best and most important rum factories on the island. You’ll learn about its fascinating history and the process to make the golden nectar before tasting five of our favourite varieties. If you weren’t already, you’ll definitely be in a good mood now!
From here we will head over to the stunning La Puntilla to enjoy dramatic sea views across the Atlantic Ocean. We’ll learn about the colonial history of the island at the San Felipe Fortress and take a short walk around the harbour, enjoying views of the Isabel the Torres mountain from the ground.
After that, we’ll move on to the historic district of Puerto Plata, where you will learn about the history and architecture of the city and discover the secrets to the laidback Dominican lifestyle.
We’ll then visit the Victorian house of one of our most prominent national heroes, where you will discover local history and what life was like for families during the Republican period.
Next up is a visit to a cigar factory where you'll learn about our most prized export, the cigar. Learn how the experts plant, harvest and select the best tobacco leaves to create and roll the finest Dominican cigars. Try one (if you wish) alongside the ever-popular Dominican national drink, Mamajuana, made with spices, honey, rum and red wine. It’s very moreish, trust us!
By now you will have worked up quite an appetite so to finish your introduction to the highlights of Puerto Plata, we’re going to treat you to a delicious Dominican-style lunch at one of the most charming family-owned small restaurants in the city. So not only will you experience the cultural and historic highlights of the city, but the foodie ones too!
Your tour will end with a freshly brewed coffee at a lovely Victorian house, which is a favourite of the locals. Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay in the Dominican Republic.
- Dominican-style lunch
- Local English-speaking guide
- One bottle of water
- Cable car ticket
- One beer
- One soda
- Mamajuana tasting
- One coffee.
- Entrance to the museum
- Rum factory entrance
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide. We can also provide pick-up for an additional fee from Playa Dorada
- Costambar and Puerto Plata city hotels. Please contact us after making your booking for rates.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Puerto Plata City Highlights tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
Full payment of 94 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Puerto Plata City Highlights tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Puerto Plata City Highlights tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Teleférico de Puerto Plata (Cable Car), beside the box office. Address: Manolo Tavárez Justo, Las Flores, Puerto Plata. Look for a UA branded guide in a red shirt.Meeting end point :
Urban Adventures office, Ave. General Luperon, in front of Acapulco Beach.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.