- Local culture
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 7 hours
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 3
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Starts/Ends Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
- Explore the colorful countryside outside Puerto Plata with a local guide by your side
- Discover the natural rhythms of the island with a tambora drum lesson from an expert local drummer
- Learn the merengue with a super fun dance lesson with an experienced local dancer
- Visit a beautiful cocoa farm and learn about cocoa cultivation, then indulge with a magical cocoa facial spa experience!
Remember when Johnny told Baby in Dirty Dancing that he couldn’t teach her to dance because she “couldn’t even do the merengue?” Well, you won’t have that excuse after this fabulously rhythmic and tasty tour! Discover the national dance of the Dominican Republic by joining us for lessons in merengue and tambora drumming! Once you’ve mastered the rhythm, we’ll whisk you off to a cocoa farm for a chocolate facial! And if that wasn’t enough pampering, we’ll treat you to a traditional Dominican lunch too! You’ll be singing “I’ve Had the Time of My Life” before the day is over…
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of three travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for three travellers.
Your tour will begin from Puerto Plata. Your local guide will take you, via picturesque small roads and charming towns, through the lush Cordillera Septentrional mountain range. As we drive, the beautiful landscape will take your breath away as you watch rural farms, cacao plantations and lush forest pass you by.
Merengue is still a popular dance in the Dominican Republic, which is where it originated from and we think there’s no better way to immerse yourself in the local culture and get yourself acquainted with the locals than discovering this dance for yourself.
Your dance experience will start at the home of a local family who have been playing merengue music for generations (their grandparents helped create the dance!). The traditional instruments of merengue music are the tambora drums and the accordion. Luckily the island’s premier accordion player happens to be part of the family so we’ll talk to him about all things accordion, then we’ll visit his brother’s workshop where the best tambora drums in the country are lovingly made. Have a go at playing them yourself as you learn how they are made and get into the rhythms of the dance.
After toe-tapping to the Latin beats, it’s time to put your new musical knowledge to the test and dance with us! We’ll start with a demonstration and then there will be time for you to practice and benefit from the guidance of an experienced local dancer. All this exertion will make you thirsty so you’ll be served a very special hot pick-me-up drink of local rum and chocolate. The locals love this concoction to get them fired up at party/fiesta time!
After a morning of dancing, we’re going to spend the afternoon relaxing, the Dominican way! Our next stop is an organic cocoa farm where we will learn about growing the best organic cocoa in the country. We’ll take a walk around the plantation and discuss the way in which the farm is sustainably managed. There will also be an opportunity to try out the yagua (part of the palm leaf) slides which help you zoom down the hill.
A delicious Dominican style lunch awaits you after our walk made by the family that own the cocoa farm. As we eat some of the country’s most popular dishes, made from fresh local ingredients, you’ll have a chance to chat with the farm owners and find out about life here on the island.
If you weren’t feeling relaxed enough, your tour will end with an unforgettable chocospa facial, using the finest mud and coca from the plantation to make up an organic face mask that promises to revitalise and moisturise your skin. It’s chocolicious! If you are feeling adventurous you’re also welcome to enjoy the river with a refreshing dip.
We’ll drop you back off in the centre of Puerto Plata but before you go don’t forget to ask your expert local guide for tips on what else to see, do and eat in the city and beyond.
Please note: this tour is priced for a minimum group size of three travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for three travellers.
- Chocospa facial treatment and a Dominican-style lunch.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Drum lesson
- Merengue dance lesson
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide. We can also provide pick-up for an additional fee from Playa Dorada
- Costambar and Puerto Plata city hotels. Please contact us after you've made your booking for transport rates.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 7 today.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Private Puerto Plata: Local Music and Chocolate Farm Adventure tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 10 April 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 10 April 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Private Puerto Plata: Local Music and Chocolate Farm Adventure tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Private Puerto Plata: Local Music and Chocolate Farm Adventure tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Puerto Plata Urban Adventures - Avenida General Gregorio Luperón, Puerto Plata 57000.Important: Look for the red t-shirt Urban Adventures branded guide at the meeting point.Meeting end point :
Urban Adventures office, Ave. General Luperon.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.