- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Prague with its atmospheric old town centre, magnificent bridges and castle
- Cycling along the Elbe and Vltava Rivers between pretty villages
- Discovering Melnik, the heart of Bohemian wine growing, and the beautiful Czech town of Litomerice
- Soaking up the hospitality onboard the comfortable barge
Journey from the Golden City of Prague along the Vlatva and Elbe Rivers by bike and barge. The Czech Republic, the small country right in the heart of Europe, impresses all with its original river landscapes, picturesque villages and romantic castles whose history and architecture can often be traced back to the Middle Ages. With its fairy tale ambiance and golden spires, Prague is regarded as one of Europe's most beautiful cities and is a fitting starting and finishing point to this grand bike and barge tour to discover the Bohemian countryside and idyllic river landscapes. The cycle route follows the Upper Moldova River, in Czech called Vltava, to Melnik, home to a great wine growing tradition. The ride continues along quiet backroads and trails along the Elbe River through classic scenery of hill-top castles and lovingly renovated villages before returning to Prague. Spend some time exploring this 'Golden City' and its many highlights including Prague Castle, the largest ancient castle in the world, the UNESCO World Heritage listed Old Town, Charles Bridge, the restored Market Place, the Wenceslas Square and the Jewish Quarter. During the tour you can reward your cycling efforts by sampling the variety of local regional cuisines or one of the many fine beers which have been brewed since medieval times.
Day 1 : Arrive Prague and board the barge
Day 2 : Cycle along the Vltava River to Kralupy (27km/16.7mi)
Day 3 : Cycle Kralupy to Melník (28km/17.4mi), by boat to Litomerice
Day 4 : At leisure in Litomerice, optional walking tour of town or round cycle to Usti (53km/33mi)
Day 5 : Cruise to Roudnice then cycle via Melník to Mlcechvosty (40km/24.8mi)
Day 6 : Cycle Mlcechvosty to Prague (40km/24.8mi)
Day 7 : In Prague, or loop cycle to Zbraslav (30km/18.6mi)
Day 8 : Depart Prague
- 7 nights accommodation aboard a Category A barge, in a Main deck cabin on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities (supplement applies for other categories of berths on Main or Upper deck, or discount for a Main deck cabin positioned where engine and docking noises may be more evident). We do not match travellers together so if you are travelling solo you will need to book a single cabin (limited and on a request basis - supplement applies).
- 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners - breakfasts are buffet style consisting of breads, cereals, cheese, meats, fruit, yoghurt and breakfast beverages. Picnic lunches are assembled at breakfast time. Dinners are 3 courses served in the dining room. Special diets may be catered for on request (e.g. lactose-free and gluten-free diet) however there will be an extra fee. Please advise us at the time of booking or at least 21 days prior to departure. If necessary, some special dietary supplements may need to be brought with you.
- 7 speed unisex bike rental with handbrake or backpedal brake supplied with a pannier and bicycle insurance per bike; repair kit, pump, and handlebar bag per cabin (electric bike available on request for a supplement)
- Information pack including route notes and maps per cabin
- Welcome drink and briefing on the first evening aboard
- Cruise director on board - does not cycle with the group, provides daily briefings
- All harbour, lock and bridge fees
- Daily cabin cleaning
- Linen and change of towels as required
- Emergency hotline
- Travel to and from Prague
- Upgrade to a cabin on upper deck or single cabin - supplement applies, ask our office for details
- Drinks other than afternoon tea and coffee on board
- Meals not detailed in the itinerary
- Entrance fees and excursions not specified, optional activities such as guided walks. Local excursions will be offered by the cruise director at the welcome briefing, payable on board. Depending on the number of participants some excursions could be conducted in English and German
- Transfers not specified
- Travel insurance - mandatory
- Tips - while tipping is not obligatory, it is customary to offer a tip if the guide and crew have done a good job. As a guide we would recommend around EUR30-60 per person (to be distributed between the guide/s, captain and crew).
- Helmet - mandatory on all bike tours, you are encouraged to bring your own well-fitted helmet. No hire facility is available, you may be able to purchase from bike shops locally.
- Catering for special diets (except Vegetarian). A supplement is payable for lactose or gluten free diets - EUR25pp (subject to change) paid locally on board. See below for further details regarding catering for dietary requirements.
- Tour guide - this is a self guided tour
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry etc.
- Car parking
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 65 today.
- Earn US$ 43+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Prague and the Elbe River Bike and Barge tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Prague and the Elbe River Bike and Barge tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Prague and the Elbe River Bike and Barge tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.